Chicken moving in slow motion

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
One of my hens has been acting strange for the past month or two. She's 2 years old and otherwise healthy, but lately she's been looking and acting a little off. She has a great appetite, shows interest in regular chicken life, comes into my lap to hang out. Her comb is very pale, but most of them have pale combs right now because of molting so I didn't think much of that. The strangest thing has been how she moves - she moves in a slow and fluid manner, like a mammal instead of like a bird. You know how birds move their heads in jerky increments, instead of in single fluid movements? And mammals move more smoothly? It looks odd on a bird. None of the other chickens move like that. She's walking slowly, too. Not limping, just everything about her movements is like she's in slow motion. Her crop empties overnight and is full at bedtime, and her appetite is great, so eating is going well. She's not currently laying, but then again none of the rest of them are either because they've started their winter break already. She has a defective tail (that's how she's always been) which is immobile and perpetually points down, so that makes it harder to judge her posture. It also makes her butt chronically messy and in need of regular baths and trims, which she accepts peacefully. She needs a bath/trim right now, but I can't tell if it's because of her tail or because of something wrong with her poop. Looks normally messy from regular poop.

So after a month or two of her plateauing like this, today I noticed a change - she was losing her balance when walking :hit Not enough to fall over, but enough to sway and catch herself when making turns. No other changes today, but the balance issue is new and is worrying me. It's very hard for me to get a hold of a chicken vet around here, so while I wait, I wanted to ask the almighty BYC. What do you guys think? Is there anything you know of that presents like this?

IMG_2359.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

Could be a vitamin deficiency, or something neurological.
I would go ahead and give her 1/2 of a B Complex tablet and Vitamin E 400IU daily for a couple weeks and see how she is then. Also give her eggs to help her more easily absorb the Vitamin E.

I'm so sorry! I hope someone chimes in with some ideas. She's one of the partridge orps you got from Papa's Poultry, right?
Thanks! And yes she is! I've had SO many issues with his partridge orps. Three died before their first birthday, one was chronically ill his whole life and had to be euthanized at just over a year old, this one has a disabled tail and now this problem, and the last one is more or less healthy, but has a permanently puffed-looking face that's worrying me (the top edge of skin over her eyes is so enlarged that it partially obscures her vision...) Also she's the wrong color for a partridge orp, too - should be orange with black lacing, and she's black with orange lacing. None of his partridge orps have really looked the way they should for the breed, but even if we discount the looks (which I don't care so much about), they've had a ridiculously low hatch rate and all have had some kind of health problem or another... I've ordered hatching eggs from this breed from Papa's twice and really wanted them to work, because they are SO pretty and sweet, but I've been very discouraged.

Could be a vitamin deficiency, or something neurological.
I would go ahead and give her 1/2 of a B Complex tablet and Vitamin E 400IU daily for a couple weeks and see how she is then. Also give her eggs to help her more easily absorb the Vitamin E.
Good point. I have all that from having treated wry neck before, so I'll give her a treatment of that. Probably selenium too, right, to help with the vitamin E absorption?

Back
Top Bottom