Chicken moving in slow motion

Thanks! And yes she is! I've had SO many issues with his partridge orps. Three died before their first birthday, one was chronically ill his whole life and had to be euthanized at just over a year old, this one has a disabled tail and now this problem, and the last one is more or less healthy, but has a permanently puffed-looking face that's worrying me (the top edge of skin over her eyes is so enlarged that it partially obscures her vision...) Also she's the wrong color for a partridge orp, too - should be orange with black lacing, and she's black with orange lacing. None of his partridge orps have really looked the way they should for the breed, but even if we discount the looks (which I don't care so much about), they've had a ridiculously low hatch rate and all have had some kind of health problem or another... I've ordered hatching eggs from this breed from Papa's twice and really wanted them to work, because they are SO pretty and sweet, but I've been very discouraged.
Yeah, the first set of eggs I got from him last year did great, I ordered a dozen this year (he sent 3 extra) none made it to hatch.

Yeah, the first set of eggs I got from him last year did great, I ordered a dozen this year (he sent 3 extra) none made it to hatch.
Aww, I'm sorry to hear you've had poor luck too. It seems to be hit or miss. I got my first batch of eggs 3 years ago, then another the following year, and I was hoping things had improved over the years, but if you had a failed batch this year, this doesn't sound good. maybe I'll try again in another 5 years or so :lol: I got two other colors of orps from him - lemon cuckoo and silver laced. Out of the two lemon cuckoo, one is the hen with wry neck that I was able to treat successfully. She's not 100% over it, she still flops her head back occasionally but it's rare and doesn't affect her life. None of the others have shown any symptoms so it must be genetic as opposed to environmental. The other lemon cuckoo has various chronic issues and is on borrowed time at this point. Seems like out of all of them, the silver laced is the only truly healthy and normal one! (though her coloring is not up to standard, so even she isn't 100%). It's so sad because ALL of them have the absolute best personalities, and look gorgeous! So I'm not giving up on him yet, I know he's an amateur who's experimenting... maybe he'll get it right someday...

UPDATE: My poor hen's health declined sharply and I had to euthanize her :hit Shortly after she started losing her balance, I noticed another new development - labored breathing. I finally managed to get an appointment with a vet and brought her in. The vet discovered respiratory distress, did an x-ray that revealed her insides weren't looking right. A big mass of unknown character was pushing on all of her organs, making it difficult for her to breathe and eat. She'd gone from 7+ to 5 pounds in a couple of months. Vet said that nothing could be done, so I took the hen home thinking we'd do a photoshoot with the kids and her (she was my daughter's favorite) and then I'd put her down, since she was suffering terminally at this point. The poor thing crashed that day and barely made it through the photoshoot, I had to send my husband in the house to feed the kids dinner while I dropped everything and took care of the hen right there, she was that bad (unable to stand, flapping and crying out in distress). It was quite traumatic to watch.

I put her down and decided to do the necropsy myself. I have another sick chicken with a poor prognosis (with a different problem altogether) who's on her third medication, and between the two of them the cost has gotten too high for me to add necropsy on top of everything. I've processed a lot of chickens, and while I'm not a vet, I figured I can at least see obvious things and get some answers, definitely better than nothing.

And boy oh boy, everything about this chicken's body was messed up! I don't even know how she was still alive! She was septic and had a raging bacterial infection all over everything - thick snotty biofilm enveloping every organ, between the skin and the muscle, inside her joints!!! Her liver was enlarged and discolored, her gall bladder was the size of my whole thumb (normally it's like a pea size), her heart was soft and mushy as opposed to the strong tough muscle it normally is, white lumps covered her gas-filled intestines, and in place of eggs she had walnut-sized sacks filled with a blood-like fluid - some congealed like cranberry sauce, some still liquid.

I described this to the vet when I brought in my other chicken, and the vet said it sounded like lymphoid leukosis, caused by an avian virus. So at least it's not something I did, and there's nothing I could've done... Her moving in "slow motion" and losing her balance was probably just her being too weak, from having lost so much weight. When I asked why this one chicken and not any of the others, when they live together and would've been exposed to the same environmental conditions (including viruses), she said that some chickens' immune systems are just weaker, and some could be genetic factors - predispositions that make it less likely for them to survive something external like this. So it's still possible that her poor breeding had something to do with this.

Oh, another thing I found that's unrelated to any of this, except maybe to the poor breeding part, but gave me more closure - she had no tail. Like absolutely nothing, her spine just abruptly ended within the pelvis, just like on a rumpless Araucana. She was an Orpington, so that was weird, and I had been wondering what exactly was wrong with her tail and why she couldn't move it.... Turns out, she didn't have one at all!

RIP my sweet girl.
IMG_2492.jpeg

Last edited:
UPDATE: My poor hen's health declined sharply and I had to euthanize her :hit Shortly after she started losing her balance, I noticed another new development - labored breathing. I finally managed to get an appointment with a vet and brought her in. The vet discovered respiratory distress, did an x-ray that revealed her insides weren't looking right. A big mass of unknown character was pushing on all of her organs, making it difficult for her to breathe and eat. She'd gone from 7+ to 5 pounds in a couple of months. Vet said that nothing could be done, so I took the hen home thinking we'd do a photoshoot with the kids and her (she was my daughter's favorite) and then I'd put her down, since she was suffering terminally at this point. The poor thing crashed that day and barely made it through the photoshoot, I had to send my husband in the house to feed the kids dinner while I dropped everything and took care of the hen right there, she was that bad (unable to stand, flapping and crying out in distress). It was quite traumatic to watch.

I put her down and decided to do the necropsy myself. I have another sick chicken with a poor prognosis (with a different problem altogether) who's on her third medication, and between the two of them the cost has gotten too high for me to add necropsy on top of everything. I've processed a lot of chickens, and while I'm not a vet, I figured I can at least see obvious things and get some answers, definitely better than nothing.

And boy oh boy, everything about this chicken's body was messed up! I don't even know how she was still alive! She was septic and had a raging bacterial infection all over everything - thick snotty biofilm enveloping every organ, between the skin and the muscle, inside her joints!!! Her liver was enlarged and discolored, her gall bladder was the size of my whole thumb (normally it's like a pea size), her heart was soft and mushy as opposed to the strong tough muscle it normally is, white lumps covered her gas-filled intestines, and in place of eggs she had walnut-sized sacks filled with a blood-like fluid - some congealed like cranberry sauce, some still liquid.

I described this to the vet when I brought in my other chicken, and the vet said it sounded like lymphoid leukosis, caused by an avian virus. So at least it's not something I did, and there's nothing I could've done... Her moving in "slow motion" and losing her balance was probably just her being too weak, from having lost so much weight. When I asked why this one chicken and not any of the others, when they live together and would've been exposed to the same environmental conditions (including viruses), she said that some chickens' immune systems are just weaker, and some could be genetic factors - predispositions that make it less likely for them to survive something external like this. So it's still possible that her poor breeding had something to do with this.

Oh, another thing I found that's unrelated to any of this, except maybe to the poor breeding part, but gave me more closure - she had no tail. Like absolutely nothing, her spine just abruptly ended within the pelvis, just like on a rumpless Araucana. She was an Orpington, so that was weird, and I had been wondering what exactly was wrong with her tail and why she couldn't move it.... Turns out, she didn't have one at all!

RIP my sweet girl.
View attachment 3675204
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. :hugs You did everything you could, and you know she's not suffering anymore. :hugs
I hope the rest of your flock stays healthy, and they don't have lymphoid leukosis. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom