Chicken Murder... I didn't think it would happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarook

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Wellsburg
I've read several posts like the one I'm about to make here.

I was foolish enough to think it wouldn't happen to me.

If only I ran outside the first time I heard squawking.

I have a RIR roo with some issues. Long story short he was recovering slowly. I have been keeping him on my porch.

I started letting him outside to walk around and work up his muscles. And I've been giving him a hen to hang out with.

So today I had him and a hen out in the yard wandering around. I was in here online. I heard somw squawking outside and I figured maybe they were just having a tiff and I let it go. But then I heard it again, and my dogs got upset. I thought I better check into this.
I went out back and to my horror my neighbors dog was in my chicken pen just grabbing chickens.

I grabbed shoes and ran out yelling NO! Stop! I was horrified to see my birds laying all about.

I grabbed him by his collar and marched him back home.
I screamed at the house, "Is anyone home?" I went to the side door and pounded on it. The girl who lives there came to the door. I said HE JUST KILLED MY CHICKENS!

She said, Oh. I'm sorry I would've gone after him but I have a baby sleeping inside.
I couldn't believe her reply. I mean I understand about kids sleeping, But it was asleep. You were just going across the street to get your darn dog!

So i went back to assess the damage.

He killed 2 10 week old Amber sex link Roosters.
4 16 week old RIR pullet
1 7 week old Black Australorp pullet.
I have 2 severely injured birds, a RIR pullet and another Roo(my favorite of the lot.) Another RIR pullet who I think will be ok. And a RIR Roo who is MIA.

The guy who owns the dog came over and aplogized. He said he would pay for the bird. But there is no $ I can put on their value to me. These were my first chickens. I was getting soooo close to egg laying time after waiting all these weeks.

I don't know if the injured birds are going to make it.

I'm so upset. I don't blame the dog. I am a dog lover, and I know it happens. But I'm just so sad right now.

His dog busted through the chicken wire in the coop, then went out into the run. Fortunately my other 3 black australorps, and my 4 Bantams were smart enough to hide in some stuff I had leaning against the wall.

What do you suppose those birds would be worth?

No value? Sure there is - I'd tag them for $20 apiece.

But I know what you mean... Im sorry to hear of this. Yet another dog massacre story...
hit.gif

Last edited:
$20.00 for a laying hen would be reasonable.

I had once lost 50 of my best breeding stock birds that I estimated worth $75.00 per bird to my neighbors dog. I was irate... but I guess ya win some... ya lose some.

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry. I hate to hear about this thing, but it's a good reminder to us all to make sure we do the very best we can to keep our chooks safe. I'm sure YOU did, as well. Rest easy regarding that, okay? Don't beat yourself up - sounds like there was nothing you could have done differently.

Quote:
sad.png
I agree. I say at least enough for you to replace the broken part of your coop and replace all of the birds. While you're at it, see if you can get enough to pay for an electric fence or stronger fencing for your coop. I know for a fact that the dog WILL be back and you need to defend your flock.

I am SO SORRY to hear about your chickens, I know that in some places in the country, the dog would be put down. Once they get the taste of a chicken, or goat or whatever, there is no stopping them! I think the owner is terrible to allow his dog(s) roam free! I have a neighbor like this who has allowed his dog to run free and doesn't seem to care. WHY do people like this own dogs at all? No responsibility...
I am so sorry about your loss. I would make him pay to replace them and I would make a report to the local police, the chickens are your property. Maybe there's a law that the dog will be taken? Anyway, sorry...
Jen

Quote:
sad.png
I agree. I say at least enough for you to replace the broken part of your coop and replace all of the birds. While you're at it, see if you can get enough to pay for an electric fence or stronger fencing for your coop. I know for a fact that the dog WILL be back and you need to defend your flock.

Carries right - the hound knows where the feed bag is, now. An electric fence is your best friend.

Oh wow I'm so sorry! At least it sounds like the owners are accepting the blame and not getting "weird" about it like some of the horrible neighbor stories you read on here....
So sorry about what happened to your babies:hit

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!! I'm even more sorry to hear about the attitude of your neighbor! She knew the dog was out but she wouldn't go get him? I'm sorry, you can leave your baby asleep in the house for 5 minutes to go catch your dog.

I agree with the others, charge AT LEAST $20/bird, including injured birds, as well as the vet bill and additional money to fortify your coop.

Good luck.
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom