Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
This thread is for all the chicken myths and rumors that we have all heard. Some MIGHT be true, whereas others, most likely not. Please be kind if you find someone who disagrees with you, and provide evidence (if possible) to back up your statement. Feel free to share as many chicken Myths/Rumors that you want to! Hopefully there'll be a chance to learn something new, and have a good time as well. :)

~Form~

Myth/Rumor:
Story:
True or False:
Evidence:

Here's the first chicken Myth/Rumor I'm wanting to share.:

Myth/Rumor: Broody hens produce milk.
Story: I read somewhere (and I can't remember where) that broody hens produce milk for their chicks. They pluck their chest feathers (true) and have milk droplets come off their skin (false) to feed their chicks.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've had plenty of hens hatch out chicks. If this was true, the chicks would be often wet when I pick them up from under their mother. Also, their down might not be so fluffy either.
Roosters crow all day at daw
My rooster crows all between 4am- 11 pm. Last night he crowed around 10:30 pm and some times he crows at 1am (true)

Myth/Rumor: Easter Eggers (EEs) Lay Purple Eggs.
Story: Many Hatcheries say that EEs lay blue, green, pink, and "purple" eggs. I think they say that hoping to help sell the breed, but anyone who knows EEs, knows what they lay. Plus, the "purple" adds to the "Easter" Egger concept.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've owned plenty of EEs over the years. I've seen blue, green and pink (rare and is light pink to tan) eggs, but have never seen a purple egg laid by an EE yet.
Purple is more about the bloom than anything. You can get eggs which appear purple due to a heavy bloom, but once you wash the bloom off it will be brown. Also is not exclusive to EEs.

Myth: white chickens lay white eggs; brown chickens lay brown eggs.

(Sorry, I don't remember the format!)

True/False? FALSE.

Evidence: Brown leghorns lay white eggs. I know this to be true because I had five of them and they laid lovely white eggs. Also, I believe White Rocks, a white chicken, lays brown eggs. There are probably others, y'all jump right in!

PS: Nor is it true that white cows give white milk and brown cows give chocolate milk, but wouldn't it be nice? 😄

Don't forget the biggest myth we all have heard. Brown eggs taste better than white eggs

A chicken egg is a chicken egg. You compare my farm fresh brown eggs to some who knows how old only fed layer feed yeah my brown egg is gonna be better. Same way my farm fresh white eggs are gonna be better than some production mass production store bought brown eggs.
I remember as a child many moons ago going to the local corner shop and being asked if I wanted brown or white eggs for my Nanna, the brown ones were always more expensive

Back
Top Bottom