Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

I like your opinion. Thats part of the reason i like when my girls run away when I try to pick them up. A chicken willing to be picked up most likey will be dinner and I like that their instincts are keen. (Meanwhile, they are my pets and I love them more than most people, lol). Survivability is translated as intelligent. šŸ“ā¤ļø
But isn't it a sign of intelligence when a chicken knows the difference between a human keeper who feeds them and a predator? I think survival in chickens is a lot more complex than that.

I like your opinion. Thats part of the reason i like when my girls run away when I try to pick them up. A chicken willing to be picked up most likey will be dinner and I like that their instincts are keen. (Meanwhile, they are my pets and I love them more than most people, lol). Survivability is translated as intelligent. šŸ“ā¤ļø
With the chicken breed that I raise, most of them notice a stranger. They will normally come right up to me, but when a stranger is with me they keep 6-7 feet or more away from me. I like that they notice a stranger, I specifically selected for that trait when I noticed it. Several generations into that selection 95% of them are wary of strangers. The breed trait is a curious and friendly disposition, just not with strangers. The curious and friendly trait doesn't mean that they like to be picked up, it means that they won't evade you for no apparent reason.
I don't breed from a hen or rooster that evades me for no reason that I can see. It goes against the breed trait and I would be irresponsible to do so.
With them being of a curious and friendly disposition, also does not mean that they aren't predator savvy. Hawk savvy can also be bred into their genetics. It might take several generations, but it can be done.
I am of the opinion that a lot of things can be bred for if we take the time to do it, I think that human evasion can be bred for. Just breed the ones that evade you and after several generations you shouldn't be able to easily catch 95% of them.

They are called Cochin because they look like Cochin, never mind that they might not even have any Cochin blood in them. As far as I know that goes for all breeds. If you could breed a Leghorn to look like a Cochin it could be called a cochin and none would be the wiser.
they don,t really look like Cochin,s but i am not hear to argue so i am going to make an example of how they are different cochin:
download (3).jpeg

pekin:
download (4).jpeg

i am very sorry it probably sounds like i am arguing and i am just stating a fact and i dont want it to be a argument so pleas dont make it one :):fl

they don,t really look like Cochin,s but i am not hear to argue so i am going to make an example of how they are different cochin:
View attachment 2987368
pekin:
View attachment 2987377
i am very sorry it probably sounds like i am arguing and i am just stating a fact and i dont want it to be a argument so pleas dont make it one :):fl
now i know they are sort of similar but the pekins i feel have shorter legs and a rounder cushion(thats wot the tail of a pekin bantam is called) and a shorter back. i hope this helps:):fl

They don't really look like Cochins but I am not hear to argue so I am going to make an example of how they are different cochin:
View attachment 2987368
pekin:
View attachment 2987377
I am very sorry it probably sounds like I am arguing and I am just stating a fact and I don't want it to be a argument so please don't make it one. :):fl

Check out these standard cochins. Very similar in type, I don't know this person and I don't want to violate any copy right laws so I'll just link a website. https://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com...k3abzt62-0cd09222-4032-4622-9545-3ea2fe4f83fb

Back
Top Bottom