Chicken name help?

Ugh, stupid computer and it's double posts. Black sex links are excellent layers of brown L-XL eggs. Even had some go broody in the past.

Last edited:

we have found the commercials black/red/white are very susceptible to sickness and death after about 3 1/2 /4 years so they are a good egg production hen but not the best pet.

Her feathers make me think she's some sort of silver-lace. You can tell if she's going to the "roo-side" if the comb above the beak (between her eyes) get large. Also, roosters have an extra toe that sort of sticks out the back, rather high up. I had a golden silkie I named Priscilla - when "she" stuck her beak in the air and crowed, I renamed her Presley. You may want to be flexible with a name, something that can convert to girl/boy as needed. I didn't do that with another silkie - now a roo named "Sweetness" - he's anything but! I've found baby books are great. Sometimes their personality requires a name - I have a Picaso, Rembrandt and a "New Roo" named appropriately NuRoo. Goddess names can sometimes be converted - Aphrodite becomes Apollo ... the sky's the limit!!

I had one that looked just like that and named her Artemis. It can be used for males or females, even though its a Goddess name. I named all my hens and roosters when they were a few weeks old so I always picked names that could be changed.

I was just checking out coop designs - have you seen the one on this website that's a COUPE? It's the cutest thing I've ever seen. He had a chick called Frisbee. I have to use that - it's way too cute. I currently have 22 babies under a broody hen (ordered last year and delivered from MPC beginning of April) and I need lots of names. Three Sumatra roosters, the rest are hens. One of them will be Frisbee!!

I had one huge black/green iridescent Ameraucana rooster I named Spartacus. Unfortunately he became very aggressive after one year of age, not only attacking me, but also laying open the neck of a hen more than once (same hen). He grew huge spurs and would wait until my back was turned and come at me with them! He now has a new home where he has his own flock with acres to run on and even though there are several other roosters, each has his own girls and there is no longer a problem. My new rooster (a 'blue' Ameraucana) is a true gentlemen who really cares and protects his hen and very gentle. I named him Lancelot.
For the fellow who is about to embark on a 'coop building' adventure. Good luck. After going over many different designs and modifying to suit me, I thought I could crank out the 'ultimate' coop in a few days. Took over a month every day in my spare time! I build to last! I would like to add that I will NEVER work with chicken wire again, but it is all tight. A month later was forced to cover it with the smaller green plastic fencing to keep out small birds. So much easier. Would have liked to use 'rat wire' but the cost here in Hawaii (as everything is shipped in) was prohibitive. Went way over budget as it was. Just take your time and do it right. Would have been so much easier with an extra pair of hands. I have a 6 foot by 12 foot coop with a raised house for nesting and roosting and it can be dragged to other locations. I think it will last forever! I ended up roofing over the run part also as well as the house part so they can always get out of rain and sun and they have a large attached outside run (also the green plastic fencing-from Lowe's with white plastic posts than can be moved easily to different areas.)

Odeda means brave and strong Hebrew origins.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom