Chicken Names!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sloallie10, Nov 10, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    We've only named a few, mainly b/c the others are too hard to tell apart. And, we only name the ones we don't plan on eating.

Two RIR roos, Big Red and Buddy. One banty cochin coo - Meatball. One deformed BR roo - Igor. Three embden geese - Papa, Big Mama and Jaws (b/c she was always biting something.) Two naked necks - Sunshine and Midnight. Oh, and an EE named Eagle Eye because she looks like an eagle.

All the others look too much alike to name.
  2. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    We have names for most of them....all 3 white leghorns are "Whitey" one Brown leghorn is Brownie the other is Brown Esther, one black minorca is Betty, the other is Shadow, we can only tell one of the buff minorcas from the other 2 and she is Squawky, all 3 of the barred Holland's are Lovely.
  3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We have:
    Chick Pea, Clem and Leopard our original 3 hens
    Smokey and Bandit who we purchased together
    Thelma and Louise our new OE bantam hens
    And we still need to name the 2 new Buff Orp. girls, the 2 new Delaware girls and the 2 new Dominique girls. We picked up the new 8 yesterday!!!!! [​IMG] I still haven't figured out how DW( Mychickensrock) and I ended up with 8 when we went to get 3 or 4. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We had 3 Roos whose names were Tiny, Spec and Chocolatte. They were all re-homed where they can do what Roos do. [​IMG]
    Some new names we are thinking of are Dr.Quinn and Medicine woman and possibly Walker and Texas ranger. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Our kids named most of are the names....Freckles, Bubbles, Freida, Fuzzy, Butter Puff, Naughty, Ebony, La Fonda, Kisses, Maybelline, Belina, Violet, Lu-Lu, Buddy, Shiver, C.C.,Dotty,Hershey, Reese, Touki, and our 3 Phoenix are Joaquin, Arizona, and Roberta.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I can remember all the names of my adults, mainly because I have named them and am always re-telling the kids their names. Plus I talk to them all the time and most I have raised from chicks since May. Only adding an occasional hen in here and there. I also don't have more than 2 of any 1 breed (except Silkies which are all different colors), so its easy to tell them all apart.

The only ones I am having trouble with are the chicks. I have 51 right now and some aren't staying. I tried naming the keepers, but with them being all mixed in with the ones that won't be staying, I get them all confused. I have just given up on remembering their names til I thin them out and they get old enough to associate personality or color with their names.

Only my 7 juvies from Ideal have names so far and 3 that I hatched here.
  6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Quote:did Mom not teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything? FizzyWow obviously started the thread to get ideas on names and you rained on the parade....that's not nice....
  7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    I only named two so far. My big Cochin Buff Orpington is named Papa Roo Roo. I swear to goodness he weighs 20lbs!

The other is a Buff Orpington hen I named Pretty Girl, becuse evil bird dog mauled her the day she came to live with us, tore feathers and she was about de-feathered, and then as they were growing back in she looked like a porcupine :eek:

Have a great day
  8. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Quote:did Mom not teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything? FizzyWow obviously started the thread to get ideas on names and you rained on the parade....that's not nice....

what are you trying to say???
  9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Fizzy, other people have started threads about chicken names. Here is one. I hope you have fun reading all five pages. \\

Do you know about the "Search" function here on BYC? Look above, on the blue line - it's the fourth item in from the left. It can give you answers to many of your questions.
  10. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Our silkie cockeral is Octavian
    Our silkie pullet is Murial
    Our dutch bantam mix is Amarie
    The 3 chicks are Sprout, Eustus and Marie Antoinette (Marie for short) [​IMG]

Naming chickens is so much fun [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by