Chicken Names!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sloallie10, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Post some chicken names you think are great!

Im curious.....

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't name my chickens

3. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:why?

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Let's see...some of my chicken's names are: Big Red(Big RIR roo), Cookie(named by my dd), Brownie(named by my dd), Prince, King, Sebastian, Belle, Lucifer(mean little chocolate OEGB), Cindy, Henrietta, Coconut(named by my ds--it's our turkey...she's round, brown, and has little white flecks in her), can't think of all the other ones...we have lots of names to give but those are the ones with personalities...[​IMG]

5. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My family laughs because I name all my chickens & ducks. I have probably 50 of them named so far lol.

Some of my favorites for the hens... Aurora, Bella, Gwen, Pura, Mya, Sasha, Amelia, Zoia, Josie, Juno, Ember, Khaki, Baili, Dymond, Olivia, Odessa, Ora, Mira, Maisie, Fiona, Sadie, Cynder, Jasper, Jenna, Kira, Karli, Allyssa, Ayla, Lulu, Camilla, Promyse, Chloe, Cari, Cali, Etta and Pipper and the Black Jap hen of my sons is named Ankoku (I call her Anna). The rest have normal names like Penny, Autumn, Dolly, Polly, Ginger, Dottie, Lily, Lizzie, Cora, Claire, Laci, Lola, Emma, Stella, etc. Our only Roo is named Raven (he was all black when he was younger).

Ducks names are.... Tank & Shadow (the boys named these 2), Beaux and Bliss, Mac and Maci, Alby and Alera.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  6. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    DH and I don't name the chickens, although with 5 kids interacting with them, names have evolved. We asked the kids to come up with a name for the one rooster we bought to be a rooster, so we have Rotteny the Buff Brahma rooster (one of the boys wanted to call him Rodney, but my daughter thought they were saying "Rotten-y" because he's a "rotten old boy"). We bought Buff-Laced Polish because my oldest son even remarked that they looked a lot like him with his blond mop-top hair, so they are named Patrick 1,2 & 3, Miss Patrick and Patricia. There are still some unnamed chickens, but so far we have:

Miss Piggy, white Ameraucana, is first in line to be fed and jumps into the feed bin when I open it.
    Cleo, silver Ameraucana who was named after the the markings around her eyes when she was a chick.
    Hawkeye, blue Ameraucana, looks like a hawk.
    Henny-Benny, brown-red Ameraucana Rooster, called Henny-Penny as he was the friendliest chick, until he turned out to be a rooster.
    Blackie, the darkest of our Barnevelders.
    Combs, the Buff Catalana Rooster, named so because of the large comb that erupted on that particular pullet! ;-)
    Ginger, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, a few of the Catalana hens.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  7. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    thats alot of names. do you remember all those? like when you go up to a random hen and go hi "........."

8. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Mirtle,maggie,maude,marj,mabel .......... 5 marans

have named the others ............ welsummers will all start with "W" ........ etc.

9. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Our roos are Lou, Billy, Mr. Angel and Liberace (a showboy). Our girls are Lola (showgirl), Cookie, Oreo, Ginger, Cinnamon, Sugar, Vanilla (okay, we ran out of food names), Habibi (Arabic for sweetie/dearie), Queenie, Princess, Esther, Elvyra, Raven, Helena, Coral, Holly, Blanca, Sylvia, Goldie, Goldean, Edina, Frank, Floris, Honeybun, Hetta and Gretta.

10. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    We've only named very few of ours mainly because we have 2 of each breed and by gosh they just look way too much alike. However, for roos we named our BO "Sunny" since he's a bright color like the sun, "Little Black" because he was the runt out of the roos & "Red" due to his coloring. For the hens: "Honker" because she honks like a goose more than a chicken (she's a Delaware), "Zoomer" because she can easily zoom rt over our 6ft run, "Marble" bc she's a Blue Cochin and her coloring is mainly blue w/ a tiny bit of white, "Chestnut" bc she's the color of chestnuts, "Surprise" bc she was an extra from the hatchery, "Phyllis" & "Diller" bc their Buff Laced Polish hairdos & zany personality remind us of Phyllis Diller, the others are not named...yet. [​IMG]

Buckhunter, I like your idea of how you name your chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by