Chicken names

coltssuperbowl83

Songster
9 Years
Dec 17, 2010
Kingsville
I name my chickens. I know 'they' say not to. I do it anyway for many different reasons. First, I think of my chickens as pets, who wouldn't name their dogs? Second, it helps me to keep track of my flock. Third, it helps me tell them apart so I can better assess personality and health.
Having said all that, here are my chickens names...
the bantams...
Matthew, Evangeline, Elijah, Tuffy, Roadrunner, Cheer, Penguin, Eyepecker, Honeybadger

full size chickens are...
Martha, Mabel, Domino, Digit, Dixie, Harriet, Henrietta, Beatrice, King Braveheart, Jester, Heathcliff, Sunny, Nutsy, Magnolia, Cressida, and Iris

What are your chickens named? Do you have a theme for naming them?
(I think I tend to name mine 'grandma' names...)

I have named 16 of my brown hens after relatives and friends and they all have numbered leg rings so even if you can't instantly differentiate by markings you can see their number. When my nephews come over they are seeing where Carol and Malcolm are(granny and grandad) and they also love that they share their name with some. I have 7 mixed breed 10week olds which are:
risky (most adventurous) Elvis (silkie x so has a quiff) whitey,splash,speckles, lilly and pandora. I have 7× 2week old chicks which will not be named until I after I can sex them

I get naming birds! I have a big Buff Orpington named Hen Houdini, from her fantastic escape skills (though, a few years ago she got her 'big hen' butt and hasn't escaped much). I have a red-starr named Oranga (my sister named her after the hen's coloring). I have a dark brahma bantam named Shmoo, because she looks like a Shmoo (for awhile her name was Eyepecker Pooper, for obvious reasons). My tiniest chicken, and OEGB pullet, is named Littlest Member, because she's the smaller bird in the flock. I have no theme for names, they just come because they make sense! I have lots of other birds, Mischief (EE), The Big Easter Egger (EE, obviously), Brozehead (OEGB Rooster) Silverbronzehead (OEGB pullet) Minorca (I think she's either a Minorca or an Australorp. She's young, still. But even if she's an australorp, her name is Minorca).

So far I've only named the two cockerels I kept. I have 11 pullets with no names.

Master Chicken (kung Fu panda) is my White Jersey Giant. He's older and bigger now. This was about week 11 or so. They're 19 weeks now.

And this is Big Boy. Because, well, he's a big boy.

Back
Top Bottom