chicken names?

Thank u for the name suggestions
smile.png
and i will look for the post with all the names thank u Saltysteele for telling me about it.
wee.gif

I have some trouble naming mine as well, but here are some of the ones I got
barred rock roo= Big roo
barred rock roo=tubalard (he's huge)
red star=Missy
red star=Lady
americauna roo=Hawk
old english game bantam roo=Gus
old english bantam= Road runner

Our 5 kids have named most of ours hens.

2 Araucana: Chili, Liberty
New Hampshire Red: Fred G. Sanford
Black Australorp: Lamont
Buff Brahma: Feathers
Buff Orpington: Buffy
2 Cinnamon Queens: Fanta, Big fat
Bearded Golden Laced Polish: Derby
Barred Rock: Kid Rock
Silver laced Wyandotte: Lacy

We are taking in another Barred Rock pullet and another Araucana pullet tomorrow. I guess we need 2 more names!

It may help you to first pick a theme. I decided I wanted chickens that had old fashioned names.

I came up with Mona (also after the "Who's the Boss?" grandmother), Lottie (as in Lottie Dottie because she is a little on the airhead side, lol) and Henrietta (for the obvious reason).

For your chickens, maybe picking notorious criminals would be cool since they are "barred". A few ideas:

Hen: Calamity Jane, Belle Starr( aka Myra Maybelle Shirley (Belle) Starr), Scarlet
Barred Roo: Capone, Baby Face, or Dillinger

Themes: favorite foods, bands, cars, etc.

Good Luck!

Love to hear all the great names!! I am new to the chicken world, I have 5 backyard chicks. They are all between 12 - 14 weeks. I have a theme with my names also...flowers. Rosy - BA, Marigold - RIR, Buttercup - EE, Petunia - EE, Poppy(seed) - BR. They don't have a clue that they have names, they just all come running when i have treats!!!!LOL.

I actually went on to baby name sites. That's the way to go right there! They just have soooo many names. You can do most popular by year for boys and girls. You can do alphabetical (like if you want all A's or M's or names that start with A, B, C etc). You can also choose a specific country (I chose French names for my Faverolles since the breed originated in France and I chose a Dutch name for my Welsummer and a Native American name for my Americauna etc). I like people names but they kind of have to apply to the specific chicken e.g. I named my NH Red Roza because it means red in Russian and I've been to Russia and I named my Dominique Tess because it's an old American breed and that is an old fashioned name.

Even though they all have names, I have silly pet names for them in general like chickie, chickiepoo, turkey, tootsie, baby ....

Good luck and have fun!

Melissa

We have ....
Jack Sparrow aka Limpy(limps from a previously broken leg) or Rue Rue
Bee aka Beatrice
Milly aka Milly Bean aka Mildred
Poopy Face aka Poo Poo
Stripe
Pluckers
Broken Toe
and finally........No name

And R.I.P. Taffy the 16 week old EE roo and Molly the 1 and a half year old RSL hen

We watched them at times and the names just came to us.Things they did.The feathers,colors,body shape,and ofcourse a few *traditional* names associated with hens.

Dh said I shouldn't name mine because I tend to get very attached to our animals & these aren't really probably going to be with us for many years. Our city only allows us to have 2 & their primary purpose is for laying. But he actually named them in an effort to cheer me up when my buff was sickly. Her name is Taco & my barred rock is named Paco (which is a rhyming song reference).

Here are the names of my girls:
Barred Plymouth Rocks: Barbara (for Barbara Streisand), because she had such a high voice(RIP), Pick (RIP) and Peck, because that is what they did;
Ameracaunas: Abbey(RIP), for Abe Lincoln because of her beard, and Pixie (smallest hen I have) and Sunflower (yellow and black)
Rhode Island Reds: Nutmegg and Cloviss (because of their coloring)
Marans(??)not sure if that is what she is: Eggsmerelda
Silver Wyandotte: Janella (a combination of Jane Fonda and Barbarella), and for the life of me, I cannot remember why on earth I decided to name her that!!!
I also keep a rooster, isolated from my girls whom I call Brooster, in tribute to my husband Bruce. I would not have chosen to necessarily have a rooster, but I saved him from a co-worker's stew pot.
I agree, some of them are named for personality traits, and some, the names just seemed to fit, after I got to know them a little better.
I originally wanted to keep with hen theme, and a couple of names I did not use: Cackleen, Megghenn, Henrietta(pretty obvious)and Pheather. I also have a baby name book, and next project was to go through the book and play with some of the names...
Anyway, it is sure fun to come up with naming the girls, so let us know your names when you get them all chosen!

Back
Top Bottom