Chicken Names

I have a pretty simple name for my 2 flocks. The waterfowl are known collectively as "The Idiots" and the chickens are known as "The Other Idiots". Actually most of the chickens, 2 ducks and the goose all have names, but that still leaves several birds nameless. I don't tend to name the ones that I think are going into the pot eventually. It makes it less awkward at the dinner table. Either that of they get names like "Thanksgiving", "Christmas", "Tetrazinni" and "Dinner".

I try to figure out what kind of personalities or qualities my chickens have first. Then I name them accordingly. One chick I had, which turned out to be a really friendly roo, was named Douchebag. Another roo was named Pepper because of his coloring, another named Fatty, another named Scratch because she was always scratching something, and yet another named Frodo because of his hairy legs and feet...

mine are:
Buckeyes
sunflower
jean
buffalo girl all named after the aprons they were wearing because I could not tell them apart
the roosters are Milo and hank

Giant white, Betty White
SS hamburg Vanassa
Leghorn plucky clucky
cuckoo marans lila

I have the 2 ugly chicklings Analise and Roselyn, the 5 RIR's Cleo, Amelia, Eva, Shirley and Fanny Brice. The BPR's Alice, Aspen, Jo, Cestrel and Izzi.

I have a dozen girls(hopefully) b/c they all have girl names! They are mostly named after family members and friend who have passed away (and would think it was HILARIOUS to have a chicken named after them)!
lau.gif

Queenie (Head of the crew)
Clara
Blanche
Pearl
Marguerite
Daisy
Dixie
Anita(my foot fixed) - she has a gimpy toe, but doesn't let it stop her one bit!
Honey
Penny
Hoot
Lola

I am a first-time chicken owner, but always have had a Ellie-Mae heart! I built their coop and run with my dad a few weeks ago. They transitioned really well into the large coop and have LOVED their run. I love this forum. It has been so so so helpful on this chicken journey!

The 4 grown hens (2 LT Sussex, 1 Barnevelder, 1 GLW) are just called 'FluffyButts'

The biggest of my TSC Pullets is Called 'Biggie'

I am thinking that 2 of the Gold Comets are roos cause their Crest/wattles grew in faster and I think their feathers are pointer AND they both have crooked toes??
So Popeye (pot pie) and Alfredo sound really good names for them!!

The other 15 or so are called 'The Girls'

Not too original, but having been through naming breeding parrots and losing track after I got up over a hundred, and having had to name about 40 alpacas....

The chicks upcoming from the hatcher??

Ah well, we should just call the rest of them all, "Chicken Math"!!

Growing up we were real original, the black one was blackie, the speckled one was speckles and of course the red one was henny penny! After 3 years they never laid eggs and when we asked the neighbor to put one down because the legs had gotten so bad, 'she' saved her life by jumping up on a fence post and CROWING at him. We always thought they were all 3 hens..........

I've only named one and her name is suzi.. My dog tried to eat her
sad.png
.. I grew attached and painted her toe nails pink (Because I didnt have any tags).. lol.. .getting some tags tomorrow so I can pick her from the crowd
smile.png

I like your names lucky dozen. I like "old hen" names too. Mine are
Tony- the roo - cause he reminds me of a smooth Italian mobster
Myra
Carol
Dorothy
Irene
Nellie
Angelica
Rita
Helga- the biggest meanest girl
Martha
And for my "blonde colored girls"
Whitney
Tory and
Leslie

I have a very diverse flock and they are easy to keep separate.

I have 3 Bantams Lucy, Ricky and Ethel. 2 Golden Laced Wyandotts Blanche and Rose, 1 Silver Laced Wyandott Dorthy and a bossy little Silkie named Sophia. My husband has informed me its not
a good idea to name them, but my 3 year old son and I do not pay much attention to that idea.

Jen
Lucky J Farm

This year I didn't name my pullets except for an EE we named Princess Layer. Last year I named them Mary Lou, Annabel, Desdemona, Ophelia and Blackie. I think I'll only name my bantams from now on as I don't plan on eating them ever. My Silkies all have Spice Cabinet names: Cinnamon and Nutmeg are my breeding pair of Partridges and their chicks are Cayenne and Cinnamon Bun. And when Salt, my Splash roo finally gets a blue or black hen, I'll have to think of a new name.....Fleur de Sel would nice, or Pepper. The Seramas are Jane and Rochester, but they are a pain as Rochester won't fertilize the eggs, even after I paid a packet for them both.

Back
Top Bottom