Chicken newbie...breed/gender help needed :)

Mandyrn86

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
IMG_5567.JPG
IMG_5567.JPG
IMG_5568.JPG
IMG_5569.JPG
IMG_5577.JPG
IMG_5576.JPG
Hi guys. So thankful for this forum. First...any thoughts on the age of our chicks?

Second...breeds? Supposedly the red is a Rhode Island Red (Harriet), the brown is a Welsummer (Cornelia), and the black is a Cuckoo Maran (Lorraine). Sound correct?

Third...do these all look like hens or is it too early to tell?

Thanks so much for any insight!
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

I do see a Welsummer...not sure abut the other two.
The black one is a boy though...too much red in the waddles this young.

Uh oh...kind of suspected that she was a he. Bummer...can't have those in the city where I live.

A local feed and county supply store
Sometimes feed store employees write the wrong breeds down on the advertising signs. Sometimes chicks get mixed up. Sometimes they will sell you "girls" knowing good an well they ordered a batch of straight run chicks.
My point is...just because the feed store said something doesn't make it true.
That's all.

Sometimes feed store employees write the wrong breeds down on the advertising signs. Sometimes chicks get mixed up. Sometimes they will sell you "girls" knowing good an well they ordered a batch of straight run chicks.
My point is...just because the feed store said something doesn't make it true.
That's all.
I agree with you, but our store seems pretty helpful. They had pretty young workers helping us pick chicks. The owner exchanges chicks out of they turn out to be roosters, so there's that. My kids became pretty attached. What a drag.

View attachment 1018839 View attachment 1018839 View attachment 1018840 View attachment 1018842 View attachment 1018844 View attachment 1018843 Hi guys. So thankful for this forum. First...any thoughts on the age of our chicks?

Second...breeds? Supposedly the red is a Rhode Island Red (Harriet), the brown is a Welsummer (Cornelia), and the black is a Cuckoo Maran (Lorraine). Sound correct?

Third...do these all look like hens or is it too early to tell?

Thanks so much for any insight!
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Al
I agree with you, but our store seems pretty helpful. They had pretty young workers helping us pick chicks. The owner exchanges chicks out of they turn out to be roosters, so there's that. My kids became pretty attached. What a drag.
well...took the chick in. The owner seemed pretty confident that Lorraine is a girl. Said her comb would be bigger if it was a cockerel? But she assured us that if she's wrong, she'll take the chick and give us another from her flock. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom