Chicken Newbie - I need help!

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially for housing.

Do the chickens do well in the winter? Just not sure what all we need to provide for them in their coop once the weather starts getting colder. I feel a little lost with all of it!

Chickens handle cold better than they handle heat because they're wearing built-in down parkas.

Once they are fully-feathered, our job is to keep them dry and to give them a place to get out of the wind. They keep themselves warm.

This is BYC's premier article on cold-weather chicken-keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

These are the two best designs that I know of for 4 chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

And

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/8-x-12-woods-coop-design-plan.1221551/

The Woods' style might be bigger than you need - but it allows adequate space even if the chickens don't go out (snow or ice storms, for example). There are smaller Woods' plans here but this size uses 8' lumber efficiently.

The Little Monitor style is big enough only if they can go out to a run or to free range for at least much or at least most days.

Thank you for recommending my coop. You are right, it is designed to be used in a situation where the chickens will always have access to a run (10 square feet per bird, minimum).

In a severe-winter climate the lower window should be fitted with a cover that can be closed as needed.

I don't unfortunately. I could make a guess based on what they look like, but since I didn't pick them out I really have no idea! They are all different breeds I believe.
As long as they’re not silkies, frizzles or serama, they’ll probably be fine, and if they are, you’ll know very soon. Tropical breeds don’t do well in cold climates either, but they’re also harder to come by, so it’s unlikely that a feed store would have them. They tend to stick with the popular basics.

If you have pics we might be able to tell you the breed and you can research them. I know you want the best for them,and we can try to help you the best we can.

Here are the kids! Penelope, Coldplay, Dopey, and Benedict. Bonus photo of the ducks -- Mallory and Elliott :)

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpg
    IMG_8461.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8677.jpg
    IMG_8677.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8678.jpg
    IMG_8678.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8680.jpg
    IMG_8680.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8683.jpg
    IMG_8683.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 11
I'm not an expert, but

The barred one is probably a Barred Rock,

If the white one has a single comb (I can't see it well), it's likely to be a Delaware. If not, it *may* be an Easter Egger.

I'm no good at red chickens, but Rhode Island Reds and Red Sex Links (which go by a dozen or more proprietary names), are the most common.

The last is likely to be an Easter Egger.

Chicken 1 looks to be a barred rock. chick 2 could be sussex or delaware. Chick 3 isa brown.Last baby I think Easter Egger. Iam new to chicken breeds just my guess.
Ducks I've never had so really not sure

My guesses:

1 - Barred Rock
2 - Easter Egger
3 - ISA Brown
4 - Easter Egger

#2 has too much color to be a Sussex or a Delaware, especially on the head and the back of the body. They have white heads and are whiter than this chick overall.

All of these should do fine in winter, with basic precautions like make sure the coop is ventilated enough, and the ventilation is above their heads when roosting. Don’t be tempted to seal them shut or to add heat. Chickens don’t need heat, they just need fresh air and to be safe from the elements.

You will be addicted to them soon if not already. I am glad you're committed which I think was misunderstood in some of the suggestions/replies. Had I known what I've invested as of this date, I could have easily purchased OverEZ large coop. Watch a few youtube videos about the coop. I just did and think I will be getting one anyway. I'm happy for your family.

Back
Top Bottom