Chicken newbie-ish

urbhenz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Crown point IN
I'm new to the forum. I love backyard chickens. I'm learning a lot, mostly from my mistakes. We're having a very cold and snowy winter and we lost two of my three girls this winter. The first, Sorrel, a silver laced Wyandotte we found what was left of her inside the coop, just feathers and her legs and a rib cage (poor girl. sorry for being so graphic) we decided our RIR and buff Orpington might have cannibolized her :(. I had recently put a heat lamp in our tiny coop and thought maybe that upset them. So we took it out. Now two nights ago Basil the buff was found outside the coop. Poppy the RIR was def at top of the pecking order so I'm not surprised she's the last survivor. Now my husband boarded up any potential opening in coop. We just picked up a barred rock and an ISA brown. 13 weeks. And plan of getting day old chicks 2 EE and 2 Marans on March 9. I'm slightly concerned about integrating these birds together. Also poppys comb seems pale. Any advice??? Thank you :):)

Last edited:
Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Wish you well with your flock
thumbsup.gif

images

Sorry about your loss of Sorrel.
hugs.gif

As for a pale comb, many things can cause a bird's comb to go pale, from internal worms, external bugs, internal infections, crop issues, molting, egg binding, lots of other things. If you can be very specific on any other symptoms, you can post this question in the emergency section her of BYC for a possible diagnosis. I hope she is ok...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the loss of your girls, hope Poppy is OK, X2 on posting in the Emergencies section about her. Have you been able to check for predators? ... from what you describe of Sorrel, I would more wonder about a predator getting in rather than the other two cannibalizing her. The Learning Center has a nice article on various was of integrating new chickens into your flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Back
Top Bottom