Chicken newbie!

michelle78

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2015
Hi all! I told my husband I wanted chickens, he came home with 3 of them. He didn't ask the farmer anything about them. I'm totally in the dark to what breed, age or health of any of them. If anyone could identify the breed that would be great and is there a way to determine if they are old enough to start laying? I need a crash course quick! Thanks yall!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. They are all beautiful mixed breed pullets and the bottom one looks like a Red Sex Link. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on Michael O'Shay's recommendation to read up on poultry care in the Learning Center. If you have questions, feel free to ask. There's a ton of information here and a lot of knowledgeable, friendly members.

Congrats on your new flock!

Hi all! I told my husband I wanted chickens, he came home with 3 of them. He didn't ask the farmer anything about them. I'm totally in the dark to what breed, age or health of any of them. If anyone could identify the breed that would be great and is there a way to determine if they are old enough to start laying? I need a crash course quick! Thanks yall!

With that red of a face they should be laying or will be. Older hen's comb, wattles, and face tend to get more white when their laying years are behind them. It's called bleaching. They're all crossbreeds. The bottom one is commonly known as a Golden Sex-Link. Excellent brown egg layers. Laying hens need a 16% protein to remain lean and keep egg laying up. Calcium is very important as well. Always keep oyster shells on hand to give them an extra boost of calcium if needed. You can tell if your hen has enough calcium if the shell of her egg is really soft.

The bottom one is commonly known as a Golden Sex-Link. Excellent brown egg layers.
In case you're confused by the terms that Birdrain92 and I have used, Golden Sex Link is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, NH, or PR) with a silver gene hen (RIW, SLW, Delaware, Light Sussex, or silver factor WPR). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching (female chicks are reddish/goldish, male chicks are whitish), but they are egg laying machines, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year.

Back
Top Bottom