Chicken newbie

ChicksofHeaven

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2023
Southeast South Dakota
Hi all! My husband and I just moved to a hobby farm. Last week we got three chicks from a FB marketplace dude.... we have a small TSC coop (hen house and small lower run) We constructed a run enclosure to let them get comfortable while they are small. (hope to free range next summer) The chicks are 4-5 weeks old, sired by a black silkie rooster and any variety of hens. Mixed bag for sure!
I grew up on a Nebraska Farm and mom raised chickens, I just got the eggs in flip flops.
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get them to go to bed on their own -- I may be thwarting the process because I'm not an early riser - I let them out of the hen house between 7:30 -8AM - and I tuck them in at 8PM/ dusk. Maybe they're not tired yet? [Eventually, daylight saving time will even things out.] In the morning, they are roosting in the hen house, so they figured that out.
I read to train them by leaving them in the coop for 2-3 days, but it's unclear to me if that means the whole coop or just in the hen house, and that seems mean - daytime temps in mid 80s -- I'm going to try a light in the hen house tonight.
I want them to figure out bedtime by next week - because I'm going out of town and my neighbor will keep an eye on them -- and I don't want her to have to gather them. (we do have coyotes and raptors out here so I'll feel better if they are in the hen house portion at night)
Open to advice. Appreciate all the wisdom here.
Chicks of Heaven (because our property is a little bit of heaven)

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_132657092_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230827_132657092_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230827_141228416.jpg
    IMG_20230827_141228416.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 9
Hello and Welcome to BYC. Glad that you have joined this community of poultry lovers. Definitely keep them in the hen house at night. I am assuming that it is predator proof. I hope you have a run that is also secure for your neighbor to keep them in during the day. Predator attacks can occur in broad open daylight in the country. They will go to bed according to the daylight. As soon as it starts getting dark they will head for the roost that they have been taught to use.

Let's congratulate Dotty for running up the ramp on her own tonight, once Laverne and Beatrice were already inside!

Thank you for your input. The specs of the house indicate it is predator-proof.
So a bit more information as to why it's not, would be helpful.
The previous owners of this property had chickens under the lean-to in a much bigger, homemade version of this coop. If I recall, it rolled out onto fresh grass. But we looked at the property in snow covered January.
We will move it into the lean-to for winter.

Also, my neighbor who used to live on this very property raised no concerns about the structure. She had chickens for many years and recalled only one raptor incident. I'll ask more pointedly.

Last edited:
Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow
Yes, your light in the henhouse should work. If there's a ramp, you could put mealworms or other treats they like too. It should only take a day or two, three if they're silkies. 😂
Debbie,
Are silkies a bit mentally challenged? Or stubborn? Dotty ran up the ramp on her own after refusing to be caught. Three cheers! So far I've thought of her as the leader, so let's hope.
I grabbed a little USB chargeable light and propped it up inside. yay.
I will try the meal worm/ treat trick. They are very responsive to freeze dried mealworms.

Let's congratulate Dotty for running up the ramp on her own tonight, once Laverne and Beatrice were already inside!

Thank you for your input. The specs of the house indicate it is predator-proof. So a bit more information as to why it's not, would be helpful.
The previous owners of this property had chickens under the lean-to in a much bigger, homemade version of this coop. We will move it into the lean-to for winter.
Please don't pay attention to the specs for prefab coops. They tend to stretch the truth. A lot.
The reason I say that it isn't predator proof, is because the wood is thin.
There is also not enough ventilation. You need 1 sq ft of (1/2" 19ga hardware covered) opening for each bird. It should be above their head. You also need to make sure that your egg boxes and door are secure from raccoons.
I know it is expensive to build/buy a predator proof coop and run, but It's heartbreaking to loose chickens to predators.

Back
Top Bottom