Chicken Newbie

Quinstar

Songster
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Indiana
Hey y'all. I posted last night about my chick that's having eye problems, but I thought I should probably hop in here and say hello as well.

My husband and I live in Northern IN and this is my first time with chickens. I've been reading a lot about them for the past 6 months to try and familiarize myself with everything that they may need. Last Friday I finally got to pick up my chicks. We got 4 chicks from the local farm supply store and I was so enamored with them, I went back for 4 more the next day. We have 8 in total and they are all doing fantastic, with the exception of Lemon.

We are moving to 20 acres in a few weeks, so when they are grown they will have all the yard that they could ask for to roam. We have 2 dogs and a cat as well. Our 8 year old bulldog could pretty much care less about the chicks, but our 7.5 month old Doberman is politely curious. She's not quite sure what to make of them, but has been great with them so far. We are trying to get her very comfortable with them so that we don't have to worry about her thinking they might be lunch.

I'm excited about this new adventure in our life and look forward to getting to know our ladies as well as all of you!

Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC
jumpy.gif

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the welcome!

@redsoxs I hope she makes it too. I think having one of my first chicks die would devastate me. I posted on the Indiana thread as well. Thanks for recommending it!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the welcome!

@redsoxs I hope she makes it too. I think having one of my first chicks die would devastate me. I posted on the Indiana thread as well. Thanks for recommending it!

Don't be too hard on yourself if you do happen to lose it. Sometimes a chick just comes in defective or ill - there isn't much anyone can do...sometimes just the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom