Chicken Newbie

Maridrew

Hatching
Mar 9, 2015
Hello everyone! My name is Marian and my husband is Andrew. We have owned chickens for 3 days now and really enjoying it already. They seem to be very happy and loving life :). We purchased 3 Buff Orpingtons and their names are Daisy, Rose, and Violet. We are raising them in a rubbermaid container with pine shavings, unmedicated chick starter, and fresh water. We are also using a 125 watt light bulb in a reflector for warmth. I started with a 75 watt and they were chirping very loudly so I upped it to a 125 and they’ve been very happy. They are indoors and we live in Central Florida. We are really looking forward to taking them outside to watch them scratch around but are very leery of doing so when they are so young. Any suggestions? We do not yet have a coop but will be building one over the next month in order for them to have an outdoor home when they are ready. Also, is it okay for them to stay in the same brooder until they are fully feathered? I felt like we should increase their space as they grow. Is that right? Anyway, very excited about our new adventure and being part of this community.

welcome-byc.gif
Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You can take them outside for short periods of time when they are young and the weather is decent, just make sure it is dry where they are and watch them closely, when they stop moving around and start huddling/act cold bring them back in.
You will probably need to increase their space before they are ready to go outside, big cardboard boxes like the ones they grocery stores get watermelons etc in or big appliance boxes make secondary good brooders, you can just throw them away when you are done...

You will also need a wire top to the brooder - soon they try their wings and can fly to the topof the brooder, hanging over the side. Usually they fall down and then can't get back into the brooder. By that time either the house pet dogs/cats whatever find them - usually NOT good for the chick. Or, they get lost scurrying around the room and get chilled or injured or worse, getting into places they can't get out from.

Usually when chicks are fully feathered they can be in a real coop - I would imagine your weather would be a comfortable temp. for them

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You have a buff orpington named Daisy?! So do I! Here she is.

Definitely keep them in the brooder until they are fully feathered. That is what is required. Also, continue to increase their space as they grow. Here is how much space they need as they grow

Up to 2 weeks: 0.5 sq ft per chick
2-4 weeks: 1 sq ft per chick
4-8 weeks: 2.5 sq ft per chick
over 8 weeks: 4 sq ft per chick

Back
Top Bottom