Chicken Nipple watering system - what size pipe to use?

So the one in the bucket does have a plastic float? That's what caught my attention, it didn't look like it had a plastic float. I was trying to figure out how it worked without a float.

It looks like a float valve, I assume the float is just down in the bucket a ways where we can't see it.

The valve is a float valve we got at home depot it has a float on it like a toilet so it fills whrn the water goes down. We had to get a differnt bucket because the home Depot on cracked from the chickens wiggling it when they drank

Mac in Wisco, can you plum in a regulator? You're right now that I think about it, the cut off valve only cuts it off, which is why I got it to start with, but I couldn't find a regulator locally and I really want to to plum it in, not drip it from a bucket or whatever. I have 40 hens and they need all they can drink down in sunny, hot, SWGa!
So, can I plum it in some way?

Mac in Wisco, actually I should probably just get a gave like a spigot in put it in if one is available. I don't like the pressure valves too much. We've had chickens and horses for nearly 30 years and I am onto something new- I hope!
Thanks anyway!
Sonja

The nipples I used are essentially self tapping. I have screwed them directly into a 5 gallon bucket, and into 3/4" PVC. Do not see any reason they would not work on pretty much any other size.

Well, I started this thread discussing the right size of PVC pipe to use, I went ahead and got all the parts for a 2" pvc watering system hooked up to a 4 gallon bucket. Wouldn't you know it, after I got it all figured out my lovely girl informed me that she didn't want to eat eggs full of PVC! I actually started a thread about using PVC for their water and it seems like that was the material or choice, probably because its cheap and easy to find.
So my new plan is 1" copper pipe all around, into a 4 gallon bucket (food grade plastic,#5) The parts were about 4x the cost over all but I have to say I feel a little better about it ( i wouldn't drink out of PVC) and it will look really, really cool.
I will post some pics as soon as its done, hopefully a week or 2.
Might be a little overboard but we are going organic, natural and trying to avoid plastics were ever possible, in and out of the house.

With threaded nipple you will need a 21/64 drill bit and a 1/8 tap w/ 27 thread and you should have no problems with leaks. You can try and use Teflon tape but it might make it harder to instal

PVC is common and approved for water supply in houses. All my home water lines are PE, CPVC, or PVC.
I doubt it's worse for us than the lead solder (used until several years ago) in copper pipes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom