Chicken nipples in soda bottle?

5Leepy!

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Austin, TX
Hi there... We bought year old hens from someone and he suggested chicken nipples. He said they can be used in soda bottles as long as they have a regular lid. I'm confused because what I've read says to use PVC pipe or a bucket. Soda bottle waterers look like they're the rabbit waterers. Has anyone used nipples on a soda bottle? I'm thinking the lid is too small? Our run is long and narrow so I'd like to stay away from buckets and our water source isn't close enough to do the PVC.

Thanx for advice,
5Leepy!

Some people put the nipple in a bottle lid (and yes, it's big enough). You just have to be sure to poke an air hole in your container or the nipples won't work.

You can also use chick water cups so they actaully have a little pool of water to drink from.

www.beaktime.com/accessory.php

As far as nipples in soda bottles, the plastic is too thin so you will need to invert it and use the cap as suggested.

Last edited:
I have both soda bottle waterer's and the PVC with reservoir. For some reason the chickens only use the PVC waterer.
I am not sure why. It could be that the soda bottle is recycled, and the PVC waterer was all new materials - filthy HiSo chickens.
big_smile.png

Thanks so much! I want to use the nipples because I want to avoid any mess in their water. Our coop has their nesting boxes and roosts "upstairs" and their run, feed and water downstairs. This means when they walk around above pine shavings, etc... fall into their water not to mention whatever they scratch into it.

We have new chicks as well so I'd like to train them on the nipples, just wanted to make sure it'd work in the lids.

Have a great upcoming long weekend!!!
5Leepy!

My chickens just drink out of the bottles i used to have for my rats and rabbits.
You know the bottles withe a nipple they work very well.
Even the ones that drink for the first time out of the egg i only have to show it ones or twice.
With a normal waterer i had to show them more often.
I don't use a soda bottle, but here in holland you can buy nipples like the ones on my bottles for soda bottles (they were designd to water dogs when you are on the road or just instead of a bowl when they are in a kennel). Maybe when my bottles are broken i'll buy them.
The best thing is that the water stays clean, before i had to clean the waterers a couple times a day becauese they would throw there bedding and food in it.

so glad I searched before I asked my question. I wondered about adding a hole at the top for venting. I just installed a push-in style into a 2 litre cap and inverted it. I slathered jelly on the nipple and the chickens went right away. off to poke a hole in the bottle so they stay interested.

thanks!

I used them for my chickens and they are wonderful. I started when they were tiny chicks and now I keep a big waterer with 3 nipples and two 2-liter soda bottles hung in their run. No problems at all.

I did this when I was raising chicks last year, in their brooder. I think it was actually a water bottle, but same idea. Works just fine!

Back
Top Bottom