Chicken nipples messes, is it just me?

WAchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Seattle area
I put in a few chicken nipples (from cconly.com) in a 5 gallon buckets. The chickens took them to immediately. However they seems to be rather messy waterer. Everytime the chicken "drink" from them some water would drip down to ground.

Am I doing something wrong? Obviously the nipples themselves are not leaking.

It is really bad right now since I am putting the water bucket in my wood shaving covered coop, and it is making the wood shaving damp. I plan to eventually move the waterer outdoor when the run is completed, but I am still concern about how much water is wasted instead of drunk.

Thanks.

I put in a few chicken nipples (from cconly.com) in a 5 gallon buckets. The chickens took them to immediately. However they seems to be rather messy waterer. Everytime the chicken "drink" from them some water would drip down to ground.

Am I doing something wrong? Obviously the nipples themselves are not leaking.

It is really bad right now since I am putting the water bucket in my wood shaving covered coop, and it is making the wood shaving damp. I plan to eventually move the waterer outdoor when the run is completed, but I am still concern about how much water is wasted instead of drunk.

Thanks.
The nipples you're using may be defective. I have 3 nipples in a 5 gallon bucket, set just high enough that the girls have to reach up the full length of thier necks to drink. I don't think I've ever seen an errant drop hit the dirt. I (and my girls) love them. I poke each one every morning to make sure they're functioning properly, so far so good. I just had a thought, are the nipples leaking at the threads? You may need to put teflon tape on them, or a dab of silicon. Don"t let this dissuade you, the nipples are a great way to water...you'll figure it out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom