Chicken nipples messes, is it just me?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WAchick, May 29, 2012.

1. WAchick

WAchick In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    I put in a few chicken nipples (from cconly.com) in a 5 gallon buckets. The chickens took them to immediately. However they seems to be rather messy waterer. Everytime the chicken "drink" from them some water would drip down to ground.

Am I doing something wrong? Obviously the nipples themselves are not leaking.

It is really bad right now since I am putting the water bucket in my wood shaving covered coop, and it is making the wood shaving damp. I plan to eventually move the waterer outdoor when the run is completed, but I am still concern about how much water is wasted instead of drunk.

Thanks.

2. You may have it to low they need to raise their head up to the nipple.

3. WAchick

WAchick In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    Thanks! I have it at about eye level, 16" high (sitting on top of side way cinder blocks.

4. ajlynco

ajlynco Chirping

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    The nipples you're using may be defective. I have 3 nipples in a 5 gallon bucket, set just high enough that the girls have to reach up the full length of thier necks to drink. I don't think I've ever seen an errant drop hit the dirt. I (and my girls) love them. I poke each one every morning to make sure they're functioning properly, so far so good. I just had a thought, are the nipples leaking at the threads? You may need to put teflon tape on them, or a dab of silicon. Don"t let this dissuade you, the nipples are a great way to water...you'll figure it out [​IMG]

5. Yep to low they need to reach for them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: