Chicken noise?

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
My wonderful husband
lol.png
is concerned about the noise chickens make. We have the coop on the side of our house near the bedroom. We are only going to have about six hens sooooooooooo i don't think there should be a problem. How much noise do hens make? Can you hear yours if they are close to your house and you are inside?

Thanks again for any info,
Jodie

I hear nothing when I am sleeping. But I sleep with a fan by the bed. My chickens are very quiet at night anyway. I really find the noises that they do make soothing and comforting. (weird?)

Roosters, I couldn't tell you about. I don't have any.
smile.png

Cassandra

I find that the amount of noise they make depends on the lighting. Everyone's gonna be up and cackling at first light so as long as you don't sleep in you'll be ok.
cool.png
They're pretty quiet at night unless something disturbs them or they get jostled off a perch.

* My chicken is FAR quieter than my DH at night (he snores so that you can hear him on the other side of the house), Haha!! But, in the morning when she WANTS HER BREAKFAST, DOGGONIT, you'd best be quick about it, or SHE WILL let the neighbors know your'e being lazy!!!! "No rest for the wicked", as my mom says. . .
tongue.png

Last edited:
mine are silent at night..........except when i wake them up............and pretty quiet during the day. i, too, find their "talking" very peaceful.

I started with 7 hens, and they were very queit. I have now added several more hens and roo. Now there is considerably more noise. Mainly from the roo. All in all hens are pretty queit, especially at night.
smile.png

I do find the soft clucking and noises from my hens to be peaceful. Even a crowing rooster is somehow refreshing. I love to stand in the pack pasture and listen to the roosters that crow somewhere in the distance behind our property. It sort of seems to make everything seem right in the world.

I enjoy chicken sounds too. Someone near where I work has a roo, and I can hear him crowing when I go into work and when I leave in the afternoon. It makes me eager to get home to my own chickens.
My chickens are quiet at night, but during the day it's another story!

Right now I only have one very quiet hen, but have had and will have more, hopefully including a roo that will be mis-sexed by the hatchery. I, too, find the noise peaceful, but my DH doesn't like roo noise at the time of the morning they like to start. I'll probably have to do some begging if one or more turn out to be roos.

Another noise I grew up with and found peaceful is trains; our house was no more than 1/2 mi. from the track.

Back
Top Bottom