Chicken noob, trying to keep it on the low down

ksqrd

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2018
Hi all!!
We are a family of four in Eastern Wisconsin with two new chickens. We have had them since they were about 3 weeks I think, and they are currently 13 weeks. One is a white leghorn, and the other...meh, who knows? she (he?) is black with some red highlights in the chest, black feet also. we acquired them from a friend who was moving. They currently reside in a cheep coop from farm and fleet, and I'm hoping before the snow flies to create some sort of run for them to get a bit more freedom. Biggest opportunities we have are the local laws, which currently do not allow any farm animal, and a dog who really REALLY REALLY wants to play with, aka eat, the girls....anybody want a people friendly dog? just kidding shes not going anywhere!
You know I like my chicken fried...you can sing along is you wish. And that just about sums up my total knowledge of chickens. I'm going to be looking for advise and plans mostly here. I WILL ask that stupid question, just answer nicely please, I will learn eventually. At least that's what I have been telling the wife for 22 years.. Looking forward to learning from you pros!
Ksqrd

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!
No question is stupid...ask away!
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops
There are a couple of links in my signature that are worth the short read.
BYC has an APP

Hi all!!
We are a family of four in Eastern Wisconsin with two new chickens. We have had them since they were about 3 weeks I think, and they are currently 13 weeks. One is a white leghorn, and the other...meh, who knows? she (he?) is black with some red highlights in the chest, black feet also. we acquired them from a friend who was moving. They currently reside in a cheep coop from farm and fleet, and I'm hoping before the snow flies to create some sort of run for them to get a bit more freedom. Biggest opportunities we have are the local laws, which currently do not allow any farm animal, and a dog who really REALLY REALLY wants to play with, aka eat, the girls....anybody want a people friendly dog? just kidding shes not going anywhere!
You know I like my chicken fried...you can sing along is you wish. And that just about sums up my total knowledge of chickens. I'm going to be looking for advise and plans mostly here. I WILL ask that stupid question, just answer nicely please, I will learn eventually. At least that's what I have been telling the wife for 22 years.. Looking forward to learning from you pros!
Ksqrd

Hi back, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!
No question is too ridiculous to ask here, so ask away!
I think your black chicken might be the same kind as my black ones. We got ours from Sunnyside Hatchery here in Wisconsin, and they call their black chickens "Special Blacks". I believe they were developed from the Dekalb Black variety, but I am not sure. My hens have black legs, black feathers with red chest feathers, black beaks, and even black combs! Very gentle chickens and lay big brown eggs.
Hope you get to keep your chickens without any "flock" from your local lawmakers! Good luck with everything!

balloons.gif
hithere.gif
balloons.gif
byc-cross-road.gif
Hopefully you don't have a roo. You'll have a lot better chance keeping your chickens under the radar if they're all hens.:oops:

Good luck in your new chicken adventure!!

Hi all!!
Ksqrd
Aww, welcome to the chicken family! There's lots of good info floating around on the site. You'll be a chicken pro in no time :jumpy And be stern with that pup! My German Shephard was too curious for his own good, and I ended that real quick. Now he won't even look at the chickens lol.

Back
Top Bottom