Chicken not eating by herself

chickenychicken

Chirping
Mar 30, 2015
Happy easter :)
My hen named reddy doesn't eat by herself. For the last few days I've felt her crop when they're in the roost and it has only water in it and her crop was not even close to full from that. But just a couple minutes ago I made some wet chicken food using the pellet form of food and she ate it all and her crop is now full. Usually her crop is full when we have the crumble food out for them but it seems like she can't eat the pellets and when she try's she never is able to get it into her mouth or open her mouth while she's holding the pellet in her beek. Also I saw her Diarrhea after I fed her but earlier today she pooped normally but it was small... Probably from not eating enough.
Anyways Reddy is a alert active hen but sometimes she'll sit down to reast-like most chickens do. ;)
Why do you think she doesn't eat on her own...should I start feeding my chickens crumbles again since she eats that better? And should I keep her around the others-I think I should... :/

Last edited:
You might check to make sure her beak is not cracked or that the top of the beak is not too long for the bottom of the beak which may make eating difficult. She may need time getting used to the pellets. When I have bantams or chicks together with large chickens, I will sometimes use both pellets and crumbles together. Many chickens who have a cracked or crooked, or too long of a beak can eat wet feed more easily. I use a flat pig pan or rubber bowl to add water to feed occasionally. Most chickens love wet feed, and will eat it more readily.

Thanks!
I checked her been and I don't see any cracks but her beek is kind of shorter than some of my other chickens. I've checked her crop each night and when it isn't full I'll give her a little wet food. Could her sort of short beek make it hard for her to eat the pellets?

Was her beak trimmed by her breeder? Could you post a picture of her beak? Beak trimming is something that is practiced by many to help prevent feather pinking, where the top beak is trimmed back/

I don't think her beek was trimmed by her breeder but I think she may just have a smaller beek. Here's a few pictures, I took a couple so you can see her little beek well...

Back
Top Bottom