Impacted Crop, help!

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2023
Rimbey, Alberta, Canada
My sweet Little Bananas has impacted crop. I know how to treat this, but when I massaged her crop, food spewed out of her mouth. She is definitely lethargic. Little Bananas is one year old and this morning her poop was very stringy and stuck out of her vent. Of course I pulled this out. She is a free-range chicken so that is most likely the cause, of eating long stringy grass (which I have).
Please help.
@SmiYa0126 @Wyorp Rock

Here is a good thread that might help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safest-way-to-clear-impacted-crop.1282700/

I would at least try to get a little coconut oil down her throat because it will really help her, I usually like to use a syringe and to make sure she doesn't choke just give her a little bit at a time. Best of luck! keep us updated!
So yay, one problem after another with her... I solved impacted crop by giving her solid coconut oil and massaging, and then the same day I gave her a bath (because her butt was poopy).

Anyway, now I noticed she is walking really weirdly. She's squatting down and moving sideways and it's really slowly. Her head is upright but she pushes everything else down. To me it seems she's doing it involuntarily.

How is she acting? When massaging a crop next time, I suggest massaging from top to bottom, to try to prevent the vomiting.

So yay, one problem after another with her... I solved impacted crop by giving her solid coconut oil and massaging, and then the same day I gave her a bath (because her butt was poopy).

Anyway, now I noticed she is walking really weirdly. She's squatting down and moving sideways and it's really slowly. Her head is upright but she pushes everything else down. To me it seems she's doing it involuntarily.
Is she still walking weirdly?

Back
Top Bottom