Hen with Impacted crop

Catastrophic

Songster
Apr 1, 2021
Shawnee, Kansas
My Wyandotte hen has a impacted crop I can tell, and I would really appreciate any type of help in what to do to help her and prevent her from dying since I’ve had this problem previously and lost a hen. I tried massaging her but she started to vomit and I know what could kill her. Any help will be very appreciated. Thank you 🙏

How old is she and long has this been going on? Does she have other issues such as not laying eggs anymore, or a swollen lower belly under her tail? Try chilling some coconut oil, and cutting about 1-2 tsp a day and offering it to her to peck. Then several times a day, massage the crop in a downward motion. Do no massage if the crop is full and puffy or full of fluid, only massage when it is firm or doughy. I would recommend also worming her with SafeGuard or Valbazen, since worms can also cause crop problems. This is a good article to help on crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She is around 8 months old i believe, has been happening for around 3 days at this point I think because I've left them out in the grass to graze and she was vomiting a lot of grass. What should I do if I don't have any coconut oil?

She is around 8 months old i believe, has been happening for around 3 days at this point I think because I've left them out in the grass to graze and she was vomiting a lot of grass. What should I do if I don't have any coconut oil?
I believe you can also use olive oil, but this might be more difficult to give her.

Back
Top Bottom