chicken not eating pellets

Scratch is also far from a complete feed, and will further encourage picky eating.
What's the mill date on your bag of pellets, the brand, and what is it called? You might not have a good product, let's see what it is and how old.
Is your bird outside, or in a coop with no access to your yard? More information will help here!
Mary

Your hen needs protein in her diet and scrambled eggs, field peas, curd or cottage cheese will provide her with some of the essential nutrients she needs until you can buy proper feed for her.

Always check the mill date on the feed bag so not to buy old or moldy feed that could even kill her.

Agreed. Would definitely focus on identifying a complete poultry feed based upon her age (starter/grower vs layer). She'll have no qualms eat all the non-nutrient dense food you give her but in the long run will neither produce eggs well nor do well. In the wild they ideally forage for worms, bugs and mix with vegetation. The only option we have to "provide" that balance is to either dig deep into the content of everything you feed her, or...get a complete feed and provide that with "snacks" and "treats" on the side

Generally, a healthy bird won't willingly starve itself to death. I wonder if something else isn't going on - either an underlying pathology in the bird, or a problem with the feed.

Try a scrambled egg. Forget the rice, the scratch, and all the rest - largely empty calories. Long term, scrambled eggs are NOT a balanced complete diet. Short term? Readily available, moderate protein, good AA balance, plenty of energy.

Hopefully your bird picks up some. Check the feed for off odors, powdery mildew, other signs it may be spoiled. Check the bag for mill date. If all seems good, you can scramble an egg with the pellet feed in it, offer that. If the bird still refuses the pellets, I'd suggest its detecting something you don't.

Mine won't touch pellets either, so I feed them crumbles. No big deal. Try putting them in a blender and make crumbles out of it
High Susan, welcome to BYC. The original poster looking for help was here in July and August of last year, hasn't returned since. They won't see you post.

That said, save the blender. Add water, serve as an oatmeal-like consistency wet mash or ferment it. Both work, and require no power tools. ;)

Back
Top Bottom