Chicken not feeling well

Hopefully it's a vitamin deficiency and she will recover in a short period of time.
When to put her back in the flock would be up to you. You would need to determine how well she is able to move about, to get to food/water and is eating/drinking well enough to be out of isolation.

If you find she won't drink the vitamin water, you can use some of it to make her mash.

As far as giving vitamin water to the rest of your flock that's totally up to you. Extra vitamins now and then won't hurt.

I am so sorry for you. I know how you feel. Mine were so pretty and active. Years ago I had one of my hens that acted like that checked positive for ms. Gradually the legs got more paralized and she started having green poo. I hate that stuff but I do not think there is anything we can give the hens to prevent it.

Well I checked on her this morning and gave her some new mash and water. I put some of the vitamins in her food mash because I am not convinced she is drinking anymore. She goes crazy when I refill the other chickens water, but won't touch her own. The old water has a red base and her new water has a yellow base so I guess she just doesn't realize its her water? I showed her that its water but I don't know I might have to see if I can get a red base for her waterer. As for how she is doing its much the same. She is laying down more now, pretty much all the time. When she does get up she still walks stiffly, and stands with her tail down and her feathers a little ruffled. She also is now doing this weird beak champing, kind of like when you champ your teeth if that makes sense? He poops are still fine, normal color, solid, nothing watery, bloody, really green or anything its all normal.

Please keep us updated, I am going through something similar with one of mine

I hope yours is doing better and pulls through, sadly I am not so sure mine will.
sad.png

I checked on her this morning and she is now trembling just a little, I don't think its looking good, but I'm not going to give up on her. She is a fighter for trooping along like she has for as long as she has so if she still wants to fight then I will do everything I can to help. I am going to pick her up a red base for her water today to encourage her to drink, I got her to drink a little from her old water that I keep in with the others. I don't know that she is eating much but she is still pooping so she must have something going in if she has something coming out. I did a pretty good inspection of her a day ago and noticed nothing out of the ordinary, no lumps, swelling, discharge or the like. But I told my DH that is she was still alive tonight he is going to help me do a more thorough inspection to see if we missed something. I figure two pairs or hands and eyes are better then one maybe he notices something I don't, or perhaps now that she is noticeably limping something has changed.

Back
Top Bottom