Chicken Not Laying In Nesting Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizardboy55, Sep 11, 2014.

1. lizardboy55

lizardboy55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello,

So my one amberlink who is usually pretty good is not laying in the nesting box. She lays on the ground and pecks the top but not to the point that its leaking but i cannot but it in the fridge. I tried the decoy egg and it does not work for her, but for all the other ones it does. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Use human nailclippers and trim the seethrough edge off the top beak. If you don't cut into the opaque part it won't hurt her, she'll continue to eat and drink normally, but it will prevent her smashing the shells. Bit like when you trim your nail a little too far and it doesn't hurt until you try to apply significant force with your finger, when you get a dull pain. It will of course grow back but it can be enough to break the habit permanently.

Best wishes.

3. lizardboy55

Jun 13, 2011
    I watched her do it today and non of them peck at it (i set up a camera to see just cause) and i found out that she does not squat down to lay it she just lays it. So they don't peck it the force to ground is what dents it. At least their not egg eaters, lol.

Will their beaks grow back thought?

Thanks

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Usually, an egg with a good, strong shell on it should be able to take the force of impact from a standing height chicken to the ground - how are the shells on her eggs?

5. lizardboy55

Jun 13, 2011
    They are usually pretty strong (they are hard to crack open with a fork) Hers have a much more pointy top compared to the others, could this be why they are denting?

Thanks Again

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I would suggest you look at her eggs with a torch behind them in a dark room or at night; I expect you'll see the shells are riddled with weak spots and much thinner than normal.

She needs more calcium for whatever reason, most likely, since she's laying weak shelled eggs; but sometimes it's just hormonal and there's not much you can do about it.

Could be a sign of her system fighting a disease alongside attempting to continue production as per normal; or she may have a mild injury (showing no signs, not uncommon) which is sequestering her calcium reserves so they don't go into her eggs right now at normal levels; there's a lot of potential causes. Ate something toxic, got stressed, got sick, whatever... Upping her available calcium sources may or may not help. Sounds like your other hens are getting enough so it's likely not an availability issue.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by