Chicken not swallowing properly.

SAVARD1981

Chirping
Nov 25, 2019
Hello, i have a male buff orpington. He's 104 days old. Last night i noticed when he was eating supper his head would droop down and looks like he's not swallowing properly. I massaged his neck and poured water with dropper to help swallow. He is acting the same, but not swallowing properly.

He;s keeping to himself while the rest of the chickens run around. He does cuddle with them when napping.

Just last night he had hard time swallowing with drooping head down. I fed him this morning, and same thing.

Ive looked everywhere online and cant find anything on this. Its not wry neck, i dont think as his head remains normal. He goes for the food, just cant swallow anything down it looks like. Their is a water bowl in coop with Vitamin water and electroytes. Their is also another water bowl in chicken run with water and apple cider vinegar.

I looked down throat and nothing abnormal. So.... Im hoping someone has a tip.

thank you.

You have looked into his throat with a light, so I assume that he does not have any white or yellow patches or canker inside his beak. Does he have watery eyes or bubbles in an eye, any nasal drainage, or sneezing? What do you feed him? Do you put granite grit out for your chickens to take as needed? How does his crop feel—empty and flat, full and hard, or puffy? Pictures posted here or a video posted to YouTube with a link here are helpful sometimes.

Thanks for replying Eggcessive. Yes i havent noticed anything wrong inside mouth and down throat. He does have a bruze on his beak, and its been there for awhile. IVe attached images, and video. Im baffled as he is swallowing now. Last night and this morning had problems swallowing. Tonight at supper ill take another video and see if the problem persists.

I took videos and they were to big to post here. Ill try to take another shorter video tonight at supper to see if happens again.

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_130125.jpg
    IMG_20191125_130125.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20191125_130531.jpg
    IMG_20191125_130531.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20191125_130535.jpg
    IMG_20191125_130535.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 9
Videos have to be posted to YouTube or Vimeo, then post a link here. His beak looks like it might be sore or fractured, possibly on wire fencing. Feeding moist food out of a deep container may help him get feed more easily.

Well that took awhile to post via YOUTUBE, but i got. Here is a video i took earlier, with him drinking water, and one with him eating. Maybe the massage of neck i did helped pass what was sticking there, but tonights supper will be the real test.

water video

feed video

and here is the supper time video. He did do same thing. Lower his head down. I massaged his neck and he got back to normal. I dont know what it is...

Back
Top Bottom