Chicken not walking and sitting back on her elbows. Help!

LarkMeadows

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
I've got a chicken who's acting like she's sick. A couple of months ago she hatched a batch of eggs and has been fine since. She's always been a very healthy bird and had never acted sick in any way. However, i recently noticed that she wasn't walking around as much and she's started to kind of lay back on her elbows with her feet stretched out in front of her. She also now can't stand up very well and has a hard time keeping her balance. Oh and the other thing is that she's acting almost like their's something stuck in her throat but it feels normal and doesn't seem like something is stuck.

Her legs aren't paralyzed as she can push them against my hands when i hold her. She also doesn't look pale or anything. She usually loves eating sunflower seeds out of my hand, but she now won't eat anything i offer her. Water is also difficult to get her to take.

Does anyone know what this might be and what i could do to help her?

she's started to kind of lay back on her elbows with her feet stretched out in front of her. She also now can't stand up very well and has a hard time keeping her balance. Oh and the other thing is that she's acting almost like their's something stuck in her throat but it feels normal and doesn't seem like something is stuck.

she now won't eat anything
i offer her. Water is also difficult to get her to take.

Does anyone know what this might be and what i could do to help her?
How old is she?
Have you looked inside her beak for canker, lesions, etc.?
Crop emptying overnight?

You mention water is difficult to take - does that mean she has a hard time swallowing if you syringe it into her or she can't drink on her own?

Marek's disease does come to mind.
I would try vitamin therapy to see if that helps her. 400IU Vitamin E + 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. See if she will take some scrambled egg and wet mushy feed.

Did she ever resume laying eggs after she raised her chicks? I would also feel her abdomen for bloat/fluid (between her legs below the vent).

Photos of her and her poop are always welcome. If you have video, upload to YouTube and provide a link.

For the water- is it that she won't drink it on her own, can't move her head properly to drink, or struggles to swallow?

Not sure of her exact age but she's between 6 and 8 years. I've checked inside her beak and saw no signs of anything wrong.

Her crop is very empty because she wasn't able to get to her food. She's not interested in drinking and she'll fight me a lot when i syringe it but she can swallow it normally.

I mixed scrambled eggs with some yogurt and she had a bit of that. It could be Marek's disease but none of the other birds are showing signs of any problems

She never started laying eggs again but she's still been with her checks so we thought that was the reason. She doesn't feel like she has any eggs in her and she's not bloated. I'll try to get some pictures of her and of her poop

Not sure of her exact age but she's between 6 and 8 years. I've checked inside her beak and saw no signs of anything wrong.

Her crop is very empty because she wasn't able to get to her food. She's not interested in drinking and she'll fight me a lot when i syringe it but she can swallow it normally.

I mixed scramble eggs with some yogurt and she had a bit of that. It could be Marek's disease but none of the other birds are showing signs of any problems

She never started laying eggs again but she's still been with her checks so we thought that was the reason. She doesn't feel like she has any eggs in her and she's not bloated. I'll try to get some pictures of her and of her poop
It could also be age related and she's shutting down if she's 6-8 yrs of age.

Yes i suspect that could be the case but, aside from the issues i mentioned before, she doesn't appear unhealthy in any other way. Her feathers look great, she's very talkative and she acts as young as the chicks she hatched.

Since this is a broody that hatched eggs, I would definitely supplement her vitamins, as advised. When they are broody they don't eat as well, and can sometimes get pretty run down. It can make it hard for them to bounce back. It could be a simple as that, and that is what I would do. Won't do any harm. I have had the same issue with broodies and with birds in molt, when they don't eat well for a period of time.

She's now eating and drinking a little bit but I have to hold the dish up to her while she eats. What I'm hoping is that she's just drained after being broody for the first time and being so old but I suppose time will tell. I gave her vitamins and will give her more supplements. She pooped a little. It was white and runny with little globs of black in it. Not sure if this is a indication of anything or if it's normal. I tried to get a pic of it but it was mixed in with sawdust and didn't really show on the picture so i'll try to get a better shot if she goes again.

Back
Top Bottom