Chicken not walking and sitting back on her elbows. Help!

She's now eating and drinking a little bit but I have to hold the dish up to her while she eats. What I'm hoping is that she's just drained after being broody for the first time and being so old but I suppose time will tell. I gave her vitamins and will give her more supplements. She pooped a little. It was white and runny with little globs of black in it. Not sure if this is a indication of anything or if it's normal. I tried to get a pic of it but it was mixed in with sawdust and didn't really show on the picture so i'll try to get a better shot if she goes again.
I've not had this problem because I only have 2 laying hens, no roo but I have read that if you have a brooder you need to force her off the nest to ensure she's taking care of herself also. Not long just long enough to eat, stretch, and drink. Once again, not an expert and haven't had this problem.

I've not had this problem because I only have 2 laying hens, no roo but I have read that if you have a brooder you need to force her off the nest to ensure she's taking care of herself also. Not long just long enough to eat, stretch, and drink. Once again, not an expert and haven't had this problem.

Yeah she was a very persistent broody and it was difficult to get her to take care of herself so i suspect she didn't eat or drink enough. After the eggs hatched I figured she would take better care of herself but thinking back she was probably still not drinking/eating enough. She also stayed inside with her chicks most of the time so she didn't get much sun or running around time.

Has anyone ever had a chicken not able to stand if she gets something caught in her throat? She recently got into our goat pellets so I'm thinking she may have gotten some stuck in her throat but I'm not sure why that would make it so that she can't stand.

Has anyone ever had a chicken not able to stand if she gets something caught in her throat? She recently got into our goat pellets so I'm thinking she may have gotten some stuck in her throat but I'm not sure why that would make it so that she can't stand.
Do you see anything stuck in her throat?
What does her crop feel like?

Just a quick update for anyone who's curious.
She's doing great now. She can stand and walk out of her box and back. She's still a bit wobbly but much better than before. We're still giving her extra vitamins as well as yogurt, scrambled eggs and oatmeal. She pooping normally. She's talking a lot and is very attentive. And, just today, she laid her first egg since she hatched her chicks in July. Hopefully this means she's on the road to recovery

Back
Top Bottom