Chicken Nutrition- What Your Chicken Needs in Its Feed

that's interesting! Well my rooster is 2 or 3 years old (was a stray) he is a buff Orpington I heard all flock is what some people do in my situation with the hens getting a side of oryster shells. But my hens hate those unfortunately. Their not laying at the moment anyways due to molting and winter. Thanks for the response!
I have a tag from a bag of Feather Fixer. Quote (Feed as the sole ration during periods of molt to chickens and roosters over 16 weeks of age. You may provide free choice access to oyster shell or limestone and grit as desired.) End quote. It contains 3.5 percent calcium.
My pullets like their feed and I trust they know what is good for my chickens. GC

Last edited:
Our chickens won't touch the free choice oyster shell we provide, but if we grind up their egg shells and feed them back, they will push and shove to come gobble them up. I'm just afraid this isn't enough for them. I wish there was some other source we could provide.

Our chickens won't touch the free choice oyster shell we provide, but if we grind up their egg shells and feed them back, they will push and shove to come gobble them up.  I'm just afraid this isn't enough for them.  I wish there was some other source we could provide.

I would hammer some of your oyster shell closer to the consistency of of the egg shells and mix in with the egg shells. You can then slowly add less and less egg shell till they're only on the oyster. From there slowly lessen the amount your grinding the oyster shell until it's normal sized.

I have 5 Orpington hens. And they never seem to eat as well as I think they should. It I use layer crumble that I have added sunflower hearts as well as a few meal worms in the last couple of months because they had been moltng. They don't seem to like scratch very much but I do give them a handful of wild bird seed every day which they seem to like. They free range and pick at grass and dead flower heads. I don't know about how many insects they can get this time of year. I lift up paver rocks for them from time to time and they ignore earthworms which I would think they would like. How can I tell if they're getting a enough of the nutrition that they need considering what I am feeding them?I do have just a horrible problem squirrels and I have to take up their food after I let them out in the morning or the squirrels will get in the coop and eat all the good food. I put out corn and peanuts for the squirrels but they eat that and then eat the chicken feed as well. That has turned into a never ending battle.

I have 5 Orpington hens. And they never seem to eat as well as I think they should. It I use layer crumble that I have added sunflower hearts as well as a few meal worms in the last couple of months because they had been moltng. They don't seem to like scratch very much but I do give them a handful of wild bird seed every day which they seem to like. They free range and pick at grass and dead flower heads. I don't know about how many insects they can get this time of year. I lift up paver rocks for them from time to time and they ignore earthworms which I would think they would like. How can I tell if they're getting a enough of the nutrition that they need considering what I am feeding them?I do have just a horrible problem squirrels and I have to take up their food after I let them out in the morning or the squirrels will get in the coop and eat all the good food. I put out corn and peanuts for the squirrels but they eat that and then eat the chicken feed as well. That has turned into a never ending battle.

I would quit feeding the squirrels, you are inviting them over to eat the chicken feed, and continue to remove the feed after the chickens are finished eating.

@unbaked pegga Don't feed the squirrels at all. By providing corn and nuts you are giving them access to enough food that they will have large litters of squirrel pups. Since the food is in one easy location, their numbers aren't reduced by predation as they would if the squirrels had to forage far and wide. Then when all the pups grow up, they stay in the area because of the free buffet you are providing. You are unwittingly helping to make your population problem worse. Additionally, the squirrels will draw in predators like foxes and hawks.

Discontinue feeding the squirrels, squirrel-proof your pen with hardware cloth, and start trapping and eliminating them.

As for feed, I feed Blue Seal Multi-flock Game Breeder pellets. They have a protein of 18% and calcium of 2.5-3.5%. Despite being labelled as a "multi-flock" feed, the calcium is not as low as other brands' "multi-flock" formulations so be sure to check actual amounts on the label.

I guess I will have to stop feeding them then. The only reason I continued is because the peanuts attracted a really large number of blue jays and I did enjoy them. Too bad squirrels can't behave. They are such a nuisance. Rats with a fluffy tail

I have been crushing two to three vitamin c with d pills up and mixing it with treats as my girls are not big on shells either. The vitamin c is made from oyster shell.

I am not feeding squirrels anymore and am taking up feed after the chickens eat. (Which I hate to do because they need food in winter to keep warm) I can't shoot them. Afraid to poison them. My son in law has come over with pellet gun, but hasn't seen any (he says
1f60f.png
) but they still come and go inside the run to get ant spare seeds etc. I already have seen one hawk, of course I have several bird feeders and right now they pick them off from time to time. Still trying to figure out a viable solution

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom