CHICKEN-OFF!

Fer

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 18, 2007
Back in late May my best friends and I each got a pair of pullets. We both got one Rhode Island Red and a Silver Laced Wyndotte. My girls are named Meatball and Lovely and theirs are Sweetness and Decency.

We decided to have some friendly competition with our chickens. Whoever's chicken lays the first egg gets a fancy breakfast. All four of the chickens where hatched on the same day, May 30th.

This may be cheating, but what can I feed or do for my girls so they lay eggs sooner? Only natural suggestions please, my friends have already accused the girls of doping and have requested random testing. Both chickens have started to make real chicken noises and are getting their combs (they are still small combs though). I try to let them free-range around the yard and I feed them chicken-treats (blackberries, cucumbers, and tomatoes). On a daily basis they are fed organic chick starter.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments!
-Jennifer

Last edited:
You could do the light source, but that's what hatcheries do and there is an increased risk of cancer or tumors in hens. Plus continuous light will also reduce the life span of the hens. I learned this just last week. My lights are now off. I don't know if there is a magic way to make them lay sooner.
idunno.gif
Each chicken has their own biological "time clock" if you will, and they are going to lay when their genes tell them they are going to lay. If there is other information that I don't know about, I will be glad to learn something new. Best of luck to you.
caf.gif

Hmmmmm, a way to make them lay sooner? They are about 12 weeks old...so they still have a few weeks to go! You dont want to put layer feed in there for another 8 weeks. All you can do...is waite. LOL

Yep, you guys have a ways to go! I feel for you... once they pass 16 weeks or so, the egg obsession hits really hard. You'll be on here reading all the posts of those of us who got our chickens in March, when we were all on 'egg watch'!
lol.png

Someone once suggested playing some Barry White music for 'em.

Back
Top Bottom