Chicken on Quail eggs?

Bil

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
Well, one of my chickens I think has gone broody (she's been in the nest box for 2 days sitting on golf balls). I have just put 12 quail eggs in my incubator on Sunday so this morning I put 4 of them under my broody hen to see what would happen.

I figured she would have more knowledge of hatching eggs than I do, this is my first time with quail eggs.

So have I made a mistake, or should I just leave them with her?

Bil

I wish I knew the answer to this too.. maybe my now broody hen would come in handy
lol.png

the chinese or japanese (forget which) used silkies to hatch coturnix quail eggs ALL the time!
smile.png

the only issue is by day 15 start watching those eggs likea hawk because they will be so tiny your hen may kill them for various reasons...not to metnion someone else who's hatched htem this way says they dont stay with mama and run away and get lost (sad)
sad.png

I have hatched pheasants under my broodies.
smile.png
I would recommend a seasoned broody to do your quail, though... my first-time broody crushed eggs and chicks so I removed them and put them in my hatcher. Managed to save a few that way. I would also recommend separating her nest from the rest of the birds so she isn't disturbed. Less likely they'll get crushed that way, too.

Thanks everybody. I'll keep an eye on how she is doing and how the eggs are doing over time. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.

Bil

I just did that with my bantam and she hatch them then left the next killing all 4. what i will do next time is let them set till day 14 and then put them in a hatcher till they hatch

Last edited:
I have heard that you can use a small hen, like a serama or OEGB, to hatch them, and they do just fine. I would put them (mama and babies) in a cage though, cause the babies will be very skittish. And they can move very fast as newbies, so you don't want them running away. If one of my little bantams goes broody again (probably more like 'when'), I'll be trying this. My current broodies are OEG, so they are a bit big!! I'd be scared that they would mush them!

Back
Top Bottom