Chicken ordinances

Apr 9, 2024
My city commission representative asked me for a written ordinance copy to submit at our commission meeting in order to have keeping chickens added. Does anyone have a general ordinance I could submit?

My city commission representative asked me for a written ordinance copy to submit at our commission meeting in order to have keeping chickens added. Does anyone have a general ordinance I could submit?
Welcome to BYC!

Where do you live?
What I would do is research areas near you with similar residential setups that permit chickens and get a copy of their ordinance to submit for review to your municipality.

Here is what my city has listed. There is a more codified ordinance that covers the larger lots but it is similar, this one addresses specifically the smaller residential lots.

Backyard Chickens In R-1-10 and R-1-15 zones, the only agricultural animals allowed are chickens. (To determine what zone you live in, please consult the Interactive Zoning Map found at https://www.herriman.org/gis/, or call the Planning and Zoning Department at 801-446-5323). The number of allowed backyard chickens depends upon lot size: Lot Size Less than 0.11 Acre Maximum Number of Chickens Allowed (Less than 5,000 Square Feet) 0 0.11 Acre to 0.18 Acre 4 (5,000 to 7,999 Square Feet) 0.18 Acre to 0.23 Acre 6 (8,000 to 9,999 Square Feet) 0.23 Acre or More 10 (More than 10,000 Square Feet)  Chickens must be kept under good animal husbandry practices including, but not limited to: mitigation of noise, smells, insects, rodents, dust, or other nuisance type effects.  All places where any backyard chickens are kept are subject to inspection for cleanliness, health, and sanitation purposes by a Code enforcement official, animal control officer, or representative of the Salt Lake Valley Health Department, based on any complaint or observation that the requirements of this subsection are in violation.  Only female chickens may be kept. No ducks, geese, turkeys, peafowl, crowing hens, or roosters may be kept. No other bird species shall be kept except as provided by City Code and birds normally and generally considered household or indoor pets.  Chicken coops shall be considered accessory buildings and are subject to the accessory building requirements of the zone in which the property is located.  Chickens shall be for personal use only. The selling of eggs or fertilizer or the breeding of chickens for commercial use is prohibited.  The slaughtering of chickens on the premises is allowed in areas not visible to the public and must be accomplished in a humane and sanitary fashion. All entrails and byproducts of the slaughtering process shall be discarded in accordance with Health Department regulations.  Chickens must be contained within an enclosure or fenced area at all times, so as to be kept from escaping. These enclosures shall be contained entirely behind a fence in the side or rear yard. No enclosures will be permitted in any front yard.  Chicken coops shall be maintained in good condition, and must be at least 25 feet away from any dwelling on an adjacent lot. This information is a summarized version of that in the Herriman City Code. Those intending to keep agricultural animals or backyard chickens are responsible to read 10-29-7 of the Herriman City Code to view the full, codified, and most current information.

Back
Top Bottom