1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Orgy!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sheilawagner, Jan 25, 2011.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Today, I wasn't very surprised to see how funny my chickens can be. I discovered my chickens making themselves very happy, by joining in a huge pile of a Dust bath ORGY!! What else were you thinking? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Naturally, the Queen had the choice location for the dedicated dustbath area which I made for them in their run. I filled an old tire full of nice dry sand mixed with DE, and that's where everyone takes turns dusting themselves.

[​IMG]
    When the Queen is there, no one messes with her, and no one dares step into the dust bath either. Everyone else rubs themselves anywhere else.

[​IMG]
    Its been rainy here in WA state, so the only place with all the dry earth was under the sheltered enclosure, and everyone was just piling it in, DUST BATH frenzy!! Funny how when one chickie gets in the mood, the rest follows suit.

[​IMG]
    Cochins, Buff Orps, Silkies galore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pile of Silkies with a frizzled Cochin at the right side

[​IMG]
    My lovely Cochin bantam girls, gazing down on the frolicking pile of feathers.

2. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    those are some very compromising pictures! I'm sure you can blackmail a few more years worth of eggs out of those hens.

my funniest incident lately is my white leghorn. I saw her walking funny a few weekends ago. She kept acting to fall over to the right, and she was raising her wing like she was going to catch herself with it. She wandered around all around outside the coop and then BOOM! Dropped and started rubbing in the dust.

This is the leghorn who growls in her sleep.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love it! Kinda reminds me of when us kids would dive in the leaf pile and roll around in it!

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I got all excited WA state meant Western Australia lol [​IMG] Ah well, they're beautiful birds nonetheless [​IMG]

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Your silkies are especially pretty. [​IMG] I'm so jealous!

I love silkies, but I can't have any because my chicken house has a dirt floor and it rains a lot here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by