Chicken out on Rain days

Well??? How else do I describe it?

I know it’s raining pretty good when the chickens are lined up single file along the house, standing on tip toes as flat against the wall as possible. My house has oversized eaves which give 10” or so of dry at the bottom of the wall.
I LOVED it!!! That is the BEST description ever!!!!!!
I'm still laughing.. hehehhahahah

My chickens look like this most rainy days. Just to give you a visual.
A7955423-F7D2-489D-BE37-65DE754A22FB.jpeg

YIKES! No wonder you are worried. I live in Florida therefore, when mine are out in the rain getting soaked, they are cooling off. My only other thought is to keep them in a covered run so you can better regulate them. My biggest fear is they get soaked and can't dry out before dark and get too cold. Is the coop heated? Hopefully, their roosting bar is a 2x4 to be able to sit on their feet and prevent frostbite. Hopefully, someone that lives in a cold environment will pipe in. My problem is the Heat and Humidity.
Coop in not heated they do have good roost bars and covered run area . They did seem pretty ok tonight they still had their fluffy feathers

Sandpoint???

Are they feathers stuck to their bodies wet or is their butt fluff still fluffy.

Im in SW Oregon and mine get wet all the time. If their butt feathers are fluffy I don’t worry too much about them.
CDA area but looking for more land in sandpointarea

Coop in not heated they do have good roost bars and covered run area . They did seem pretty ok tonight they still had their fluffy feathers
First time mine looked like drownded rats on the roost after a day of rain, I stuck my hand under the feathers, they were dry and warm next to the skin.
Never worried about it again.

I've never owned a chicken that actually proved the phrase " mad as a wet hen".
I believe that saying comes from using the cold water dunk to break a broody hen. :D

So my chicken wanted to hang out in the rain most of the day by choice, the temp tonight will be 42degrees and I'm just a little worried about them they do have a shelf coop and run to hang out in they just love free roaming around ... Is there something I do for them?

I figure that chickens know how to be chickens better than I know how to be a chicken so as long as they have the choice to go somewhere dry if they want to I assume that they're fine.

Mine mostly hang out in the coop and under the pavilion roof when it's raining heavily, but then one will get notion that there could be some good bugs out in the rain* and will go investigate -- followed by all her sisters.

*The soil here in the Sandhills is regrettably devoid of worms. When I get my permanent setup together and have a good layer of decomposing organic material started I will seed it with purchased worms.

First time mine looked like drownded rats on the roost after a day of rain, I stuck my hand under the feathers, they were dry and warm next to the skin.
Never worried about it again.

I believe that saying comes from using the cold water dunk to break a broody hen. :D
Oohh, OK, that makes sense...that would make a hen mad for sure.

Back
Top Bottom