Chicken panting like a dog with wings speed out

Could you upload a video of her doing this? It could help with narrowing down what’s wrong. Some find it easiest to upload to Vimeo or YouTube and paste a link to it.

Whatever’s wrong her symptoms sound serious, but it could be a number of different things.
Is she coughing?
Is she shaking her head?
Does her abdomen look or feel bigger than usual?
Is she having trouble walking, limping, or can’t balance?
What color are her droppings?

It could be anything. Panting might mean she’s in pain or having difficulty breathing. Or is too hot (especially with wings out).

What is her age and laying status? Comb color?

Can you check if her downy fluffy butt area is bloated? Do you know if she’s eating and drinking properly and if her crop is emptying overnight?

Lots of questions, I know, but the answers will help us help you.

Could you upload a video of her doing this? It could help with narrowing down what’s wrong. Some find it easiest to upload to Vimeo or YouTube and paste a link to it.

Whatever’s wrong her symptoms sound serious, but it could be a number of different things.
Is she coughing?
Is she shaking her head?
Does her abdomen look or feel bigger than usual?
Is she having trouble walking, limping, or can’t balance?
What color are her droppings?
Clear with alittle green from forging. She is h to his. Abdomen feels ok. I gave her warm bath and made sure she was dry. She did kind of shake but just for a second. She bent her head down and clear liquid came out. No coughing. It was like she was blind cause she walked up to the stairs and just stood there. I separated her. I’m thinking of taking her to vet. I have 17 other chickens. A couple have poopy butts. I found this in there roost this morning. Don’t know who left it but it looks bad. It’s hard to see but that’s the best I could do.

Attachments

• D50B6845-A64F-4105-8B01-27EF8690B043.jpeg
    D50B6845-A64F-4105-8B01-27EF8690B043.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 21599508-7AD6-4C15-AE5A-122CA77EA414.jpeg
    21599508-7AD6-4C15-AE5A-122CA77EA414.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 137B858B-1718-4B6F-AD76-F5BEB4054536.jpeg
    137B858B-1718-4B6F-AD76-F5BEB4054536.jpeg
    492.8 KB · Views: 10
Symptoms sound like respiratory distress/infection. But it almost sounds like there may be more than one thing going on.

Clear liquid coming out may mean an obstruction or partial obstruction. Gently check crop tonight and see if it feels full. Try not to bend her over as she could aspirate the liquid into her lungs. Check the crop again in the morning and see if feels empty, and get her to the vet for an assessment and x-ray.

It could be anything. Panting might mean she’s in pain or having difficulty breathing. Or is too hot (especially with wings out).

What is her age and laying status? Comb color?

Can you check if her downy fluffy butt area is bloated? Do you know if she’s eating and drinking properly and if her crop is emptying overnight?

Lots of questions, I know, but the answers will help us help you.
I started giving them whole corn cause I heard they liked it. But they really don’t. She is not bloated. She’s thin. Her crop is empty. My chicks free range and only come to roost at night. They have access to feed and water. I give fruit for treats. Don’t know what I did wrong.

You might not have done anything wrong. It takes many years to learn how to best care for chickens and all that can go wrong etc.

What variety of chicken is she and what age?

What type of food is she normally on?

A partial obstruction may be an issue with the whole corn. Sometimes large pieces of grain (and anything else a chicken picks up) can get stuck in the crop or the tube that leads to the gizzard. The gizzard is where the food is ground up, so if the large pieces never make it there, it can cause obstruction. You might see signs like you mention with fluid being regurgitated. Depending on what she has eaten, it could cause irritation further down in the digestive tract as well.

I would recommend a vet for sure and an xray/ultrasound. If its an obstruction, they might be able to remove it.

If she is very thin she may have had the issues for a while. Try giving her some electrolyte/vitamin water and sugar water tonight.

Best wishes and hope she makes it!

You might not have done anything wrong. It takes many years to learn how to best care for chickens and all that can go wrong etc.

What variety of chicken is she and what age?

What type of food is she normally on?

A partial obstruction may be an issue with the whole corn. Sometimes large pieces of grain (and anything else a chicken picks up) can get stuck in the crop or the tube that leads to the gizzard. The gizzard is where the food is ground up, so if the large pieces never make it there, it can cause obstruction. You might see signs like you mention with fluid being regurgitated. Depending on what she has eaten, it could cause irritation further down in the digestive tract as well.

I would recommend a vet for sure and an xray/ultrasound. If its an obstruction, they might be able to remove it.

If she is very thin she may have had the issues for a while. Try giving her some electrolyte/vitamin water and sugar water tonight.

Best wishes and hope she makes it!
She’s a Easter egger. About a year or less. I checked her I didn’t feel anything. But don’t know what to feel really. I gave her chick food and she has water. I gave her some spaghetti noodles earlier and she nibbled on them. So will call vet and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom