Chicken Panting, won't move much... (NOT HEAT)

BrownLeggys

Hatching
Aug 31, 2022
Hey guys. It's been about 80s today, but I don't think its heat...

It's now nighttime, around 70s temp, but for the past few hours (just started today) one of my hens has been lying down normally close to the water outside, panting a lot, and not moving. Will not accept treats, she was actually challenged by another hen but just layed completely still...

it's now nighttime and normally she flies up to a perch, but for the first time in 2 years she is laying down, still panting, on the ramp which is easy to get to.

What could be wrong? It's been like this for a long time.

I'd check if she's egg bound. Internal check would be more accurate then palpitating the abdomen.

Internal check is sticking your finger up her vent, go no further then your second knuckle. But if the egg is right there, you'll touch it immediately.

If there's an egg stuck, give her a Calcium Citrate Tablet. Even if you don't feel an egg, still give it to her.

What's her breed?
Brown Leghorn 😓

No it doesn't just happen in the nesting box.

Tell more about her running out to gobble food, then a few minutes later the weird behavior. What was the food?
I'd check her crop now, look inside her beak too. Then re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Just normal feed. then sometime after she was lying down.

I'm not sure (we have four chickens) and we collected 2 eggs today
I'd check if she's egg bound. Internal check would be more accurate then palpitating the abdomen.

Internal check is sticking your finger up her vent, go no further then your second knuckle. But if the egg is right there, you'll touch it immediately.

If there's an egg stuck, give her a Calcium Citrate Tablet. Even if you don't feel an egg, still give it to her.

What's her breed?

Back
Top Bottom