Chicken paralysis

Maddiejayne

Chirping
Oct 26, 2017
About 10 days ago I noticed my silkie roo, Tormund, wasn’t leaving the coop and moving around like his typical active self. When I went to move him he tumbled forward and could regain his balance or stand well without support. I brought him into the house to investigate him and make sure he wasn’t getting picked on (often times, the girls will pick on anyone showing weakness or illness). I realized his right leg was practically paralyzed, though he could still curb his foot.

I posted on social media platforms seeking advice and if anyone had experienced similar problems. Most of the feedback I received suggested checking him for lice & mites (at the time I didn’t see any, I since then have and have been treating him for it) and Mareks disease was also mentioned as a possibility. 2 days later after treating him and pampering him inside I saw no improvement and took him to our avian vet. Lice he had, but not bad and most likely due to his immobility. She said he was text book Mareks (the neurological strain) EXCEPT for the fact that we have brought NO new birds to our property in over 9 months (nor are we near anyone being on 14 acres and the birds are mostly in a 2 acre area, though they do free range, there are no other nearby chickens) and he’s over a year old with this onset problem. So here we are wondering if he was maybe injured causing his immobile state.
I was given some anti-inflammatories that he’s taken for 7 days now- no improvement. I set him up in a milk crate that has a sheet stretched across the top with holes for his legs to go through and one hole for his pooper so his vent doesn’t get clogged or backed up.

there’s been zero improvement, but he has gotten ‘worse’ but his appetite is dwindling with his Lack of movement. I refuse to give up on him (if anything, this has brought us closer) but I don’t see him sustaining this way. I work often and in my free time I’m holding him, hand feeding and watering him. I didn’t expect him to last as long as he has (especially with the possibility of Mareks).He isn’t suffering and shows no signs of pain, but I need to figure out something for him to live his best life possible.
I’m hoping someone might have some insight or suggestions that I could use to help improve his current state, even just figuring out a way to make him mobile again. I’ve attached pictures of his current contraption that he sits in all day, other than when I’m holding him or trying to see if he’ll walk or hop on the other leg.
if anyone knows of a way to help him move around better (knowing he may only have one leg (at best) to work with or is familiar with his condition, I’d appreciate any and all feedback!! Thank you.

Attachments

• 3262312D-8E87-48C1-B824-6613C765A5AC.jpeg
    3262312D-8E87-48C1-B824-6613C765A5AC.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 8F5706BE-2212-4F46-85C9-551F5080F7C8.jpeg
    8F5706BE-2212-4F46-85C9-551F5080F7C8.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 4
How old is your Roo? Were there chickens where you are before you brought your birds in? Do any neighbors have chickens?
Sorry for all the questions, but Mareks can stay dormant in the soil and it can be airborne also.....
Not to depress you but this article may broaden the diagnosis:
https://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and-advice/tumours-in-chickens-1-4187539.
Lymphoid leukosis has a later onset than Mareks...I hope he has neither and it's a passing thing :fl

Sorry about your rooster. It can be frustrating trying to know if lameness is Mareks or an injury. It might help to try some vitamin B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet daily crushed into food in case of a rinoflavin deficiency. Usually, most people get testing with a necropsy by the state vet after death to find out. Below are 2 labs that are testing either blood serum or a feather on live chickens for Mareks for about $20:
http://www.vetdna.com/https://vet.uga.edu/education/acade...ealth/poultry-diagnostic-and-research-center/

Back
Top Bottom