Chicken passing blood....what's going on?

Thanks again everyone, so what do you do if they quit drinking? It hasn't happened yet but I do see that they are not as spunky as before....but maybe I am too much the mother hen...And I keep the medicated water going for 3-5 days then stop....then again in 3 weeks? What determines the 3 or 5 days? If everything looks good, no blood and active, stop?
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
If they quite drinking you can give it orally at 0.02ml per 100 grams, which is about one drop per from most syringes. This can be given in addition to their medicated water. Can you get a kitchen or postal scale and start weighing them?

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy I do have a scale...great idea!
Excellent! With a scale you'll be able to get a better idea of whether or not they're getting better. Best to weigh at the same time every morning before they've had a chance to eat and drink.

-Kathy

Update...everyone is doing great, no signs of anything at this point. So now my question is. once I finish the 3-5 days of treatment. And which should I do 3 days because they look good or 4 to play safe. Then I have to do it again in 2 weeks. Can these birds be considered safe and able to placed on the property with the rest of the birds after the next round of treatment, when?. And should I go ahead and treat the other birds that are under 4 months of age at the other property? I am in the middle of a move... the medicated chicks are at the old location.

Always go long when treating pathogens to prevent resistance in the pathogen.

Since coccidia - a protozoa) isn't like bacteria or virus so it isn't like they will poison your property.
I wouldn't bother treating the others unless they show symptoms.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
One thing to consider when integrating these youngsters with the rest of your birds...there are several strains of the cocci protozoa and it is very possible they could have a strain of coccidia that is new to your other birds and therefore they will not be resistant to. So when you do integrate just keep a close eye on everybody because it also goes the other way, these chicks you just treated may also encounter a strain new to them once they hit the ground with the rest of the flock. Once everybody has been moved in and integrated for a while they'll develop resistance to what is in their environment and then you should be fine. Some people treat preventatively when new birds are brought in or when birds are moved to new property to prevent an outbreak. Given how lethal coccidiosis can be in a short time I think it's a good idea and certainly does no harm.

Update...everyone is doing great, no signs of anything at this point.  So now my question is. once I finish the 3-5 days of treatment.  And which should I do 3 days because they look good or 4 to play safe.  Then I have to do it again in 2 weeks.  Can these birds be considered safe and able to placed on the property with the rest of the birds after the next round of treatment, when?.  And should I go ahead and treat the other birds that are under 4 months of age at the other property?  I am in the middle of a move... the medicated chicks are at the old location.

I would treat per the mfg's and FDA recommendation of 3-5 days at the 0.024% level, then 7-14 days at the 0.006% level, and I only treat sick birds. :D

-Kathy

Forgot to say that the 0.024% amount is 2 teaspoons per gallon and the 0.006% amount is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy for doing the math for me.... saved me a bunch of time there. Ok, should I do the continual 1/2 teaspoon dose if I don't see any signs of bad poo or sickness? I did some internet searches and found this....thought it was a good article. It also has me freaking out that I might contaminate the other property. And maybe with that in mind do the 1/2 teaspoon dose but that will push back giving them vitamins that they might be lacking now.

here is what I found country farm and lifestyles.
by sharon
(orange va.)
I treated my 7 week old chickens for coccidiosis three weeks ago with CORID.

Should I do a follow up treatment? I suspected one of my chicks had coccidiosis and started treatment. The young chick is eating and seems to be feeling fine.

The correct way of treating your chickens for coccidiosis with CORID would be to add 10cc (10mg) per gallon of water for 5 consecutive days. If you have done this your flock should be okay. It is better to do the 5 day treatment for chickens rather than the 21 day treatment.

How CORID works is that it mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is needed by the coccidia for normal growth and reproduction. When the coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamin deficiency and starve from malnutrition thereby killing them off. The problem now is that there are some strains of coccidia that have become resistant to the use of CORID, especially in larger livestock like goats and cows.

If the rest of your flock are fine, I wouldn't retreat them at this stage. Instead I would add organic apple cider vinegar to their water, chopped garlic to their food along with an active plain yogurt to reintroduce good bacteria into their digestive systems. Keep their housing clean at all times. However, for this disease, this is not the panacea of all ills.

If you are absolutely sure that what your chickens had was coccidiosis you will have to be on constant lookout for the tell-telling signs as you will probably always have this problem.

Coccidia can last for up to 2 years in the environment without a host, and for the life-cycle to perpetuate, the coccidia has to be ingested by the host - in this case your chickens. Once you have coccidia on your land, it is very difficult to get rid of as they reproduce so rapidly and in very large numbers.

Basically, if you have coccidiosis your only option now is to try and contain it as much as possible. If you have other livestock on the property you need to investigate to see if they have been affected too. Coccidiosis can even affect cats,dogs and rabbits.

The ONLY thing that kills coccidia is EXTREME heat and cold.

Regards
Countryfarm Lifestyles

Heres something scary noting kills this stuff but extreme heat - I know it is hot in Florida but I don't think that is what they mean and extreme cold which I doubt will ever happen again. I wonder if I take a torch to the area it will help.... but I am leaving here and maybe I am freaking out for no reason. Since the Corid did a great job for us.
Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom