Chicken pecks me.

I have one chicken that, when I come into the free range area, follows me and pecks me. Just once, on the back of the calf. It doesn't seem like an attack, more like a demand. Does anyone else have chickens who do peck you in a similar manner, and have you figured out why, in your case, they do this?
My hen Sarah does this all the time, though she usually pecks me more than once. It could be she wants treats, or she could be trying to preen me, lol. She does it whenever she's around me. I could be holding her, and she'll just start scratching at my coat, all happy and such. I assume she's doing this seeking for treats, especially because I like to hide treats in my pockets. The other day when my hen was doing it, it could have been because I was giving another bird attention instead of her (she loves my attention!). She kept scratching at my calf, and after awhile of me not acknowledging her, she flew up on the perch that I was leaning on, looking to get my attention that way (which she did get). This hen is a very friendly bird and would be happy to sleep on my lap all day while I pet her. She's not aggressive towards me at all (though I do have to watch her around the eyes some).

Mine peck at my clothes (and skin!) for attention… and they do not stop until I pet them! Their way of showing affection as well (in my opinion). Most of my bantams (especially the Seramas and Mille Fleur d’Uccles) peck at my clothes until I pick them up and pet them. Then they settle into my arms, and many of them take little cat naps. And, IF I’m TOO slow, they fly up and I’m playing their favorite game of Catch the Tiny Chicken! My Buff Orpingtons also peck away at my clothes until they get their own little pets. I ❤️ it! Maudy, one of my oldest girls (EE) gets real close to me and gives a short little peck. Then, she stands there and stares into my soul until I give her well-deserved attention. 😂

My Barred Rock girl, Cindy, does this. Begging - not wait - not begging commanding me to feed her. She likes some scratch grain and bread and wants it. She will not eat the regular chicken feed. She's a bit on the odd side. It's only when I'm late for feeding time though. I think she is punishing me in her own chicken way. She pulls on my pants and pecks at my ankles. I really don't understand Cindy, and Cindy just doesn't understand that I had to be somewhere today and wasn't here to feed her at 12:30 PM sharp. Boy Cindy, I am your keeper and I decide when and what I'm going to feed you for the day.

What breed is she?? If it just when you wear certain clothing or shoes. My rooster, Jack, is a very nice boy until I bring out the yellow jacket and then he turns the most aggressive little jerk. I really want to keep him for when he is a nice boy, so I don't wear that jacket around or in the chicken area. If it is curtain clothing I would only wear them in the house or out somewhere. Try not to wear them in the chicken run.

This is not story even though it sounds a bit far fetched. I have heard of many chickens doing this and that's really all you can do. If you do some looking around, you will probably find over a dozen threads seeing what this is. It is really common in roosters but can also be seen in hens. I'm really not sure what causes this in a chicken, although bright, flashy colors can make a chicken have certain reactions.

Sometimes we can't really understand why chickens act the way they do but we just have to go with sometimes and listen to them. Who knew the chickens could be the boss of what you wear around them! 😂😂😂
I've had this issue with one of my roosters too! My little bantam rooster Chester was known to be aggressive, but around me, he wasn't too bad until I wore the fluffy blue mittens. He absolutely hated those mittens! He also had an issue with a pair of winter boots I had. Apparently the little guy was a bit peck-y.

I also had a similar issue with a whole flock once. (They were known as the Church Birds.) I always wore the same type of shoes into their yard. Then, one day, because I was in a hurry, I wore my slip ons. These very friendly birds were terrified of the change! I didn't get it at first why they were so scared of me until I realized it was the shoes. So I threw one off in front of them, and sure enough, they were scared of it. They were doing the warning cluck and eyeing it from a distance like it was out to get them. 🤣 I didn't wear those shoes in their yard again, the poor birds.

I have one chicken that, when I come into the free range area, follows me and pecks me. Just once, on the back of the calf. It doesn't seem like an attack, more like a demand. Does anyone else have chickens who do peck you in a similar manner, and have you figured out why, in your case, they do this?
My bird does this all the time, I think it's her way of asking for something 🤣

Back
Top Bottom