Chicken pecks me.

I have one chicken that, when I come into the free range area, follows me and pecks me. Just once, on the back of the calf. It doesn't seem like an attack, more like a demand. Does anyone else have chickens who do peck you in a similar manner, and have you figured out why, in your case, they do this?
My Barred Rock girl, Cindy, does this. Begging - not wait - not begging commanding me to feed her. She likes some scratch grain and bread and wants it. She will not eat the regular chicken feed. She's a bit on the odd side. It's only when I'm late for feeding time though. I think she is punishing me in her own chicken way. She pulls on my pants and pecks at my ankles. I really don't understand Cindy, and Cindy just doesn't understand that I had to be somewhere today and wasn't here to feed her at 12:30 PM sharp. Boy Cindy, I am your keeper and I decide when and what I'm going to feed you for the day.

What breed is she?? If it just when you wear certain clothing or shoes. My rooster, Jack, is a very nice boy until I bring out the yellow jacket and then he turns the most aggressive little jerk. I really want to keep him for when he is a nice boy, so I don't wear that jacket around or in the chicken area. If it is curtain clothing I would only wear them in the house or out somewhere. Try not to wear them in the chicken run.

This is not story even though it sounds a bit far fetched. I have heard of many chickens doing this and that's really all you can do. If you do some looking around, you will probably find over a dozen threads seeing what this is. It is really common in roosters but can also be seen in hens. I'm really not sure what causes this in a chicken, although bright, flashy colors can make a chicken have certain reactions.

Sometimes we can't really understand why chickens act the way they do but we just have to go with sometimes and listen to them. Who knew the chickens could be the boss of what you wear around them! 😂😂😂

I have one chicken that, when I come into the free range area, follows me and pecks me. Just once, on the back of the calf. It doesn't seem like an attack, more like a demand. Does anyone else have chickens who do peck you in a similar manner, and have you figured out why, in your case, they do this?
She likes you and that's how she's getting your attention. Have a little treat in your hand next time. That'll just encourage it but if it's just a little peck, consider it a love tap. ☺️

My Barred Rock girl, Cindy, does this. Begging - not wait - not begging commanding me to feed her. She likes some scratch grain and bread and wants it. She will not eat the regular chicken feed. She's a bit on the odd side. It's only when I'm late for feeding time though. I think she is punishing me in her own chicken way. She pulls on my pants and pecks at my ankles. I really don't understand Cindy, and Cindy just doesn't understand that I had to be somewhere today and wasn't here to feed her at 12:30 PM sharp. Boy Cindy, I am your keeper and I decide when and what I'm going to feed you for the day.

What breed is she?? If it just when you wear certain clothing or shoes. My rooster, Jack, is a very nice boy until I bring out the yellow jacket and then he turns the most aggressive little jerk. I really want to keep him for when he is a nice boy, so I don't wear that jacket around or in the chicken area. If it is curtain clothing I would only wear them in the house or out somewhere. Try not to wear them in the chicken run.

This is not story even though it sounds a bit far fetched. I have heard of many chickens doing this and that's really all you can do. If you do some looking around, you will probably find over a dozen threads seeing what this is. It is really common in roosters but can also be seen in hens. I'm really not sure what causes this in a chicken, although bright, flashy colors can make a chicken have certain reactions.

Sometimes we can't really understand why chickens act the way they do but we just have to go with sometimes and listen to them. Who knew the chickens could be the boss of what you wear around them! 😂😂😂
Lol, she does seem to peck me only when I am in jeans, which is about 99% of the time. It just cracks me up that she sneaks up on me in order to peck me-she doesn't approach directly.

She thinks you're delicious. :)

I have one bird that only pecks at my husband's exposed backside, since I can't seem to convince him to wear a belt most of the time. She doesn't peck my bare legs or hands or anything else. Just pinches his butt repeatedly.
Lol, I can be grateful she only sneaks up on my calves.

Back
Top Bottom