Rooster got me! Infection paranoia

Sad In A Box GIF

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock
I love her! Miss Kitty, that is.

Hes usually pretty docile, but it was my fault for trying to herd them while wearing running shorts. He got me with one deep peck to the leg (outside of my calf). It did bleed but not a crazy amount, but it is a pretty good/deep peck. I immediately washed it out thoroughly, did antibiotic ointment and a band aid.

Once I got bit by a cat and it quickly turned into a nasty infection. Are chickens as dirty? Anyone ever been pecked good and NOT gotten an infection? I am paranoid obviously.

I am up to date on my tetanus shot (less than 2 years ago), so that's good I guess?
Cat are clean. Chickens are dirty. Cat's do however have bacteria in their saliva.
That aside, I would not worry too much about a scratch from a rooster beak'. I have had a few.
I would be concerned if a rooster got you with his spurs or feet.
One of my former roosters got me right at the knee. He caused so much damage that I limped for about 2 weeks. After that my knee swelled up and was swollen for about a month until I started taking antibiotics. Finished Lyly 7 days of antibiotics about a week ago and the knee is still swelled but the swelling is finally going town.
My conclusion is that I did get an infection..
I was wearing shorts when this happened.
I am a guy who's 6'2" and about 200lbs.
I am not exactly someone who a rooster should target. Plus I am the one who raised them and feeds them.

It's not large at all, super minor really, I'm not worried about needing stitches or anything (definitely dont!), just worried about infection. Chickens seem like they'd be almost as dirty as cats. But I'm not a scientist (obviously).

I know to watch for spreading redness, swelling, warmth, all that stuff. Just...what are the chances of that actually happening?

Second photo is blood free, displaying depth haha
Not too bad! Im sure it hurt! I had a much worse one from my duck - Hence my profile picture reminds me of Quackers perfectly! Lol I hate that duck! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just they don't see it that way.
Interesting thing is that he was part of a rooster colony. There was about 10 of them living together and was the only troublemaker.
Few days ago, he attacked me from behind as I was walking. Hit back of my thigh and pretty hard. Good thing I was wearing jeans.
Interesting thing is that I collected them all Sunday night from their roost. All were calm as I picked them up in the dark. The attacker was the exception. He was screaming bloody murder as I picked him up and carrier him to the crate and the was going nuts in the crate.

Hes usually pretty docile, but it was my fault for trying to herd them while wearing running shorts. He got me with one deep peck to the leg (outside of my calf). It did bleed but not a crazy amount, but it is a pretty good/deep peck. I immediately washed it out thoroughly, did antibiotic ointment and a band aid.

Once I got bit by a cat and it quickly turned into a nasty infection. Are chickens as dirty? Anyone ever been pecked good and NOT gotten an infection? I am paranoid obviously.

I am up to date on my tetanus shot (less than 2 years ago), so that's good I guess?
Keep it clean and dry. Watch it for redness, swelling, foul odor, fever. If any of that occurs go to the doctor.

Depending on how deep it was- likely it’s fine. Cats tend to have stuff that causes hospitalizations quite frequently believe it or not. Roosters not so much. I’d be more scared of the dirt from the wound than the actual rooster.

But with your history being extra cautious wouldn’t hurt. you don’t want to end up hospitalized on 6 weeks of iv antibiotics. so if you do see any of those symptoms get them checked out.

If you’re an uncontrolled diabetic I’d recommend going ahead and go to the doctor.

I’m not a doctor, this is just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom