Rooster got me! Infection paranoia

Hjgh91

Chirping
Jun 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Hes usually pretty docile, but it was my fault for trying to herd them while wearing running shorts. He got me with one deep peck to the leg (outside of my calf). It did bleed but not a crazy amount, but it is a pretty good/deep peck. I immediately washed it out thoroughly, did antibiotic ointment and a band aid.

Once I got bit by a cat and it quickly turned into a nasty infection. Are chickens as dirty? Anyone ever been pecked good and NOT gotten an infection? I am paranoid obviously.

I am up to date on my tetanus shot (less than 2 years ago), so that's good I guess?

Hes usually pretty docile, but it was my fault for trying to herd them while wearing running shorts. He got me with one deep peck to the leg (outside of my calf). It did bleed but not a crazy amount, but it is a pretty good/deep peck. I immediately washed it out thoroughly, did antibiotic ointment and a band aid.

Once I got bit by a cat and it quickly turned into a nasty infection. Are chickens as dirty? Anyone ever been pecked good and NOT gotten an infection? I am paranoid obviously.

I am up to date on my tetanus shot (less than 2 years ago), so that's good I guess?
Just keep the wound clean and covered. Keep an eye on it. I would think that since a peck is not a bite, as in, no teeth going into your skin, you would be fine. I am not a doctor and don't play one on this site. This is just what I would do, as it makes sense to me

Just keep the wound clean and covered. Keep an eye on it. I would think that since a peck is not a bite, as in, no teeth going into your skin, you would be fine. I am not a doctor and don't play one on this site. This is just what I would do, as it makes sense to me
@WallyG74
Someone is not recommending to rub dirt on it.

Can you post a pic of the wound? I am not a medical professional, but will say what "I" would do.

Can you post a pic of the wound? I am not a medical professional, but will say what "I" would do.
It's not large at all, super minor really, I'm not worried about needing stitches or anything (definitely dont!), just worried about infection. Chickens seem like they'd be almost as dirty as cats. But I'm not a scientist (obviously).

I know to watch for spreading redness, swelling, warmth, all that stuff. Just...what are the chances of that actually happening?

Second photo is blood free, displaying depth haha

Attachments

• 20240312_182148.jpg
    20240312_182148.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Snapchat-10827411.jpg
    Snapchat-10827411.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Look, I once got pecked IN MY EYE, and I just looked in the mirror, said “well, I can still see myself, and it looks ok enough” and went about my day. It helped that she only got the corner of my eye, or things may have been different. But that was Angel Bone for ya. I still miss her sometimes.

By the way, she was the one who flew over the fence, got torn up by the neighbor’s dog, flew BACK OVER THE FENCE, and just lived with literal exposed joints in her left shoulder for the rest of her life. Oh, and I used to think of her as the queen/ mob boss of the coop, she is the bird suspected of killing/ cannibalizing the sweet old granny bird, Grace the Americana.

As long as you keep it clean and continue to use triple antibiotic to keep it moist every now and then until it starts healing over, you should be just fine!

Animal bites get infected a lot easier due to the bacteria in their mouths, needing some extra care. But a small puncture wound like that should be easily manageable. Birds aren't anything to worry about like any animal with teeth

It's not large, I'm not worried about needing stitches or anything (definitely dont!), just worried about infection.

I know to watch for spreading redness, swelling, warmth, all that stuff. Just...what are the chances of that actually happening?
Continue as is. Wash, tea tree oil (if on hand), triple antibiotic, keep covered.

I've been bit/pecked/had skin twisted by an angry rooster plenty of times. There's no guarantees of course, but you treated it as I would have, probably better. I'm much more leery of spur punctures than beak grabs.

In short, I wouldn't be worried, just keeping aware of heat and prolonged redness. I bet this looks miles better tomorrow ❤️ Sorry your rooster decided to be rude today!

Back
Top Bottom