Chicken pen/run floor

Both aart and I are from the mitten. :)

I got the heavy duty tarps that were 8x10, because that size made the most efficient cover for my run. One spot got a wear/rub not quite through from a metal roofing corner, but that was it.

I used zip ties to tie the tarps down, and that worked really well too. Another nice thing: Black side up in the cold months for absorbing the sun's heat, and silver side up in the hot months to help reflect it.

Before I had poop boards, I used poop mats on the floor of my coop under the roost. They were the rubber boot mats that you use for snowy/muddy boots. If you do this, get the smoothest surfaced ones you can find. The poop will get down into any texture and be hard to clean out. (Ask me how I know this? Trust me, I know this.) I put PDZ on the mats, and scooping poop was easy.

That worked especially well in the warm months when the chickens were outside almost all the time. In the winter when they spent more time inside the coop, the pine shavings I used for bedding were scratched onto the mats. It was still better than no mat, though, that's for sure.

My chicks will be moving into their coop, soon. I have shavings in the coop, but may switch over to sand and dropping boards before winter, as it is not possible to do the deep method in this coop.

My question really is the pen/run. It's 10x10. It's currently just grass. Is this not appropriate? Do I need to dig up the grass and use something else?

"My question really is the pen/run. It's 10x10. It's currently just grass. Is this not appropriate? Do I need to dig up the grass and use something else? "

The chickens will love the grass for as long as it lasts. After that you'll need some sort of bedding. :)
They sure did! 😊 We are now using pine shavings, and they love scratching around in them. Each day, after I clean their coop, I visit them in the pen. I have a poop scooper in the pen and I go 'round, picking up what I see. The girls follow me around, scratching at the wood chips, waiting for their treat ~ which always comes after the clean-up. They do get the occasional bug, even in the pine shavings. They have excellent vision, and never miss!

I have a poop scooper in the pen and I go 'round, picking up what I see.
I do that too. Mostly so I don't step in it, but also because I want it for my compost pile/garden.

We're going to have some trees taken down in November, and there will be LOTS of wood chips left from that. I asked the guy who is doing the work how many yards of chips there might be, and he said 8-10. Good, because I have a use for all of them! :) The chickens' run (after the chips dry a bit) and a lot in my garden.

I do that too. Mostly so I don't step in it, but also because I want it for my compost pile/garden.

We're going to have some trees taken down in November, and there will be LOTS of wood chips left from that. I asked the guy who is doing the work how many yards of chips there might be, and he said 8-10. Good, because I have a use for all of them! :) The chickens' run (after the chips dry a bit) and a lot in my garden.
Perfect!

Back
Top Bottom