Chicken pen/run floor

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
My chicks will be moving into their coop, soon. I have shavings in the coop, but may switch over to sand and dropping boards before winter, as it is not possible to do the deep method in this coop.

My question really is the pen/run. It's 10x10. It's currently just grass. Is this not appropriate? Do I need to dig up the grass and use something else?

Then possibly lay in sand (after the grass is ruined). I read that it's good for temperature control.

I've noticed over time that the people who are happy with sand in the run over the long term are almost always people who either live in a dry climate or who have a fully-roofed run.

Sand takes a lot of maintenance. You have to scoop poop very frequently and if it ever gets wet it stinks. :(

I am in SE Michigan (garden zone 6).
Stop by the Michigan thread and say hi!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome.697050/page-5030

For the roof of my run last winter, I used heavy duty tarps from TSC, the black/silver ones. For support, they were over chicken wire over the metal tube frame from a green house. I broomed off the snow when it fell, and never had any issues with weight. Though last year was a light snow winter...

Might want to start thinking ahead tho, it won't take long for them to destroy the grass and things to start stinking.

If you have a place to store a big pile of wood chippings from a tree trimmer,
that would be your best bet, IMO.
full

full

full

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Sammster
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1628776279413.png

Thank you so much! I thought I'd start by tarping the west side of the run, to keep it as dry and wind resistant as possible. Hopefully, I can find large sheet of clear visqueen, to let in the sun's warmth. Then possibly lay in sand (after the grass is ruined). I read that it's good for temperature control. Then, I'd like to make them a warming area of some kind, with loose bedding, so they can lay down and warm their legs and feet.

I am in SE Michigan (garden zone 6). I will add that to my profile 🙂
I would not recommend sand.
Please post some pics of your coop and run.

Both aart and I are from the mitten. :)

I got the heavy duty tarps that were 8x10, because that size made the most efficient cover for my run. One spot got a wear/rub not quite through from a metal roofing corner, but that was it.

I used zip ties to tie the tarps down, and that worked really well too. Another nice thing: Black side up in the cold months for absorbing the sun's heat, and silver side up in the hot months to help reflect it.

Back
Top Bottom