Chicken pen/run floor

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
My chicks will be moving into their coop, soon. I have shavings in the coop, but may switch over to sand and dropping boards before winter, as it is not possible to do the deep method in this coop.

My question really is the pen/run. It's 10x10. It's currently just grass. Is this not appropriate? Do I need to dig up the grass and use something else?

Might want to start thinking ahead tho, it won't take long for them to destroy the grass and things to start stinking.

If you have a place to store a big pile of wood chippings from a tree trimmer,
that would be your best bet, IMO.
full

full

full

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Sammster
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1628776279413.png

Might want to start thinking ahead tho, it won't take long for them to destroy the grass and things to start stinking.

If you have a place to store a big pile of wood chippings from a tree trimmer,
that would be your best bet, IMO.
Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Sammster
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
Thank you so much! I thought I'd start by tarping the west side of the run, to keep it as dry and wind resistant as possible. Hopefully, I can find large sheet of clear visqueen, to let in the sun's warmth. Then possibly lay in sand (after the grass is ruined). I read that it's good for temperature control. Then, I'd like to make them a warming area of some kind, with loose bedding, so they can lay down and warm their legs and feet.

I am in SE Michigan (garden zone 6). I will add that to my profile 🙂

Thank you so much! I thought I'd start by tarping the west side of the run, to keep it as dry and wind resistant as possible. Hopefully, I can find large sheet of clear visqueen, to let in the sun's warmth. Then possibly lay in sand (after the grass is ruined). I read that it's good for temperature control. Then, I'd like to make them a warming area of some kind, with loose bedding, so they can lay down and warm their legs and feet.

As you probably know, you'll need to make a good separation between the two types of surface or they'll end up being commingled. I'm amazed how far they can toss that stuff when they're enthusiastic!

Then possibly lay in sand (after the grass is ruined). I read that it's good for temperature control.

I've noticed over time that the people who are happy with sand in the run over the long term are almost always people who either live in a dry climate or who have a fully-roofed run.

Sand takes a lot of maintenance. You have to scoop poop very frequently and if it ever gets wet it stinks. :(

I would not recommend sand.
Please post some pics of your coop and run.

I would not recommend sand.
Please post some pics of your coop and run.
Here we go...

The run is 10x10. The children's playhouse is the girl's spa. Inside is a galvanized tub with a mixture of sand and dirt. They love it in there!

The inside of the coop photo ~ I have the nesting boxes closed off. Those litter trays are not removable. I bought some heavy plexiglass to lay under the perches as dropping boards. They should be smooth enough to scrape and deep clean as needed - but not slippery

We are still doing some final tweeking, here and there. I need to add more ventilation at the peaks of the coop. There is only 1 Vent, and I don't like that it's right at roosting level. Fine for summer, but not for winter

I also have a tiny bit more apron to put in. What I've installed so far, is now hidden under the growing grass

Oh, And I have heavy, bound and grommeted visqueen on order. It will cover the W side of the pen and wrap a bit on the S side (where the gate is)... during the cold months

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you ♡

Attachments

• received_232294632119188.jpeg
    received_232294632119188.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 21
  • received_370430327878509.jpeg
    received_370430327878509.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 21
  • received_1270913876699758.jpeg
    received_1270913876699758.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: